Struggles and Strengths of being Independent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

The move away from home to attend college is a leap, a transition everyone must experience and the moment when you often start to realize how thankful you are for your parents and the traits they helped you gain. Self reliance is often thought of as solely a strength yet any individual who was raised with independence as an important quality would know that this often looked at strength has its struggles.

As a self-reliant individual you prosper in almost every situation with confidence, a confidence that helps you to perform “that much better” at just about any situation you set your mind to. Everyone knows the strength of confidence that come with independence is sexy. Confidence explains the number of songs written about “Miss Independent” and the way she carries herself.

If self-reliance exists in you, you can often understand the struggle of asking someone for help. Even if you are piled high with work you and desperate for resources you contemplate the idea that asking for help would innocence that individual. Though you may be able to complete the task on your own, a helping hand can create quality product and increase relations, truth is people enjoy helping each other. As an independent person you are able to complete tasks on your own if needed, you put 100% in whatever you do and have the ability to take charge in the situations presented.

Some form of independence in college are key to simply functioning, you are no longer under your parents roof and you have to make a path for yourself. If self-reliance is a strong-suit tasks needed to perform in your everyday college setting are nothing to you but the problem is proposed when your professor speaks the dreaded words “Group Project”. Now lets be real no one likes group projects in the classroom environment, but those who rarely rely on anyone but themselves despise it. The concept of your grade being dependent on the sleeping boy next to you makes you cringe. The bad feelings toward working with other student often stems from one of the first group projects you probably ever did, you know that one in middle school in which you ended up doing mostly all of the work and the sleeping boy and texting girl got an “A” just like you. Supplemental to that, group work in general is great and a vital component to completing large tasks as well as useful in many professional situations. When an independent person is placed in a group of other self-reliant or just plain helpful people delegation works great, the group will thrive and the task gets completed.