The Struggle of Being the “Hipster” Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Everyone has that “hipster” friend. They hate being called a hipster, but that’s the only word you can think of to describe them. The one who listens to indie music on a record player, knows about bands before they are hella popular and would rather go to a place that is less crowded and less mainstream because they feel more comfortable there. It’s not anything to be ashamed of, in fact, it’s something to be proud of. Being different and being unique are qualities that you will carry with you for the rest of your life and if being a “hipster” is what that means, then we should all be them. Despite all of this, there is still a stereotype for people who go against the popular, mainstream ways, and there is an everyday struggle within a friend group to not be pestered or teased for being vintage and out of the ordinary. 

Struggle #1: What is this song!?

It’s finally your turn to have the AUX cord and you throw on some new indie alternative song that your favorite band came out with. Your regret it instantly after you hear the comments from your friends such as, “This is too slow” or “Not again with the hipster bullsh*t.” They better get used to it because you have some undeniably incredible taste in music and they have yet to appreciate it. 

Struggle #2: Why are you wearing that?

You mean, I’m not allowed to wear flannels with space buns if I want? Having your own style that is unique and independent from the norm doesn’t make you strange, but it makes you personable and quirky. If you want to grunge it up from time to time then totally go for it. 

Struggle #3: What do you mean record players sound better and why would you waste money on that?

You have to admit that there is just a different sound and feel to record players. It brings you to another place and time when you open it up and listen to that record, instead of plugging in your headphones to your Iphone 6S and adding a Pandora playlist. It’s much more personal, and if you get made fun of for appreciating things like that, then so be it. 

Struggle #4: Have you heard of this totally indie band?

That band was “indie” four years ago and indie doesn’t mean what you think it does. Indie is independently owned and not included in the popular radio songs, but it doesn’t mean it is nonexistent or that a whole other population of music listeners aren’t already listening to that band on Spotify. 

Struggle #5: You are such a “hipster.”

Please do not call me that… or anyone. “Hipster” is dead and if I enjoy listening to music that isn’t on the radio or that I find to be enjoyable and get called a hipster for doing so, then I guess there are worse things to be called. 

Photo credit:1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I am a writing and rhetoric major at the University of Central Florida and I really love tacos and pugs (the dog breed). I am a writer for Her Campus UCF and have been writing since I was eight years old :). My great grandfather won the Pulitzer Prize so I have some big shoes to fill.
UCF Contributor