Lindsay Thompson-Neon Sign Where You Need To Be Miami Bar Inspiration
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

4 Things Sofia Carson Has Taught Me…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I had the opportunity to listen in on a press conference hosted by Universal Music Group’s 1824 which featured artist, actress and ambassador, Sofia Carson. It was so fun to listen to her story and get her take on inspiring musicians, giving back and feeling empowered. Here are four things Sofia Carson taught me.  

To be loud

Her latest single “Loud” is the perfect anthem for female empowerment. She explained during the conference that the song is meant to represent all of the voices — specifically women — who have been silenced. My favorite lyrics in the song are “If I was a man, then you would understand.” As a young woman, I feel that these lyrics are not only powerful but relatable in that every day we fight to be heard in a man’s world. In the music video for “Loud,” Sofia undergoes a transformation of becoming a butterfly. This is such a strong metaphor for the freeing experience of being able to express yourself and finally be heard. I absolutely adore this song and can’t wait for it to become an anthem for young women everywhere.

to give back

Sofia is a firm believer in giving back to her community. During the conference, she was asked who her greatest influences were as a child, apart from her mother she said Audrey Hepburn was one of her greatest influences because she dedicated her life to giving back. That being said, she is now dedicating her life to giving back to others. She recently announced that she will be funding the Latin Grammy Cultural Prodigy Scholarship. This scholarship will fully fund a student’s bachelor’s degree in music at Berklee starting this fall. As someone who was previously an aspiring musician, she’s very proud to be able to give a deserving young artist an amazing education in music. Sofia is also an ambassador for UNICEF and she explained that she has a passion for giving young girls the education they deserve. Because of this, she encouraged the passing of the Keeping Girls in School Act, which fights for young girls who don’t have the right to receive an education they most definitely deserve.

To inspire others

Through her work on the hit Disney Channel movie Descendants, Sofia has become a role model to much of the younger generation. Her character, Evie, has become an inspiration for many young girls over the years with her charm, big heart and intelligence — many girls would say they want to be like her when they grow up. Sofia is not only touching the hearts of young girls through Disney Channel but in the beauty industry as well. As a Revlon ambassador, she says she is proud to be the face of a brand that celebrates a women’s inner beauty. As a child, Sofia was inspired by women trailblazers such as Cher and Barbara Streisand, who not only dominated the music and film industry but were icons in many other aspects of their careers. I find it inspiring that Sofia had looked up to these powerful women for so long and has now become somewhat of a trailblazer herself.

To pour your heart into something you love

While in the studio and on set, Sofia said she prefers to disconnect from reality by turning off her cellphone. This allows her to fully embrace her character or immerse herself in the writing process. Her newest film, Purple Hearts, set to release sometime this year is very important to her because it’s five years in the making. This gave her ample time to dive deep into the lead role, Cassie. She expressed that this experience was a journey of a lifetime — being able to form a greater connection to her character makes this project even more special to her. As a songwriter, she is especially proud of the fact that she was able to write a few songs for her character as well. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to see this film!

I’m so grateful that I had the opportunity to hear Sofia’s story and learn about ways that I can become a stronger and more inspiring woman. Sofia said one of the things she looks forward to most this year is continuing to be loud. I look forward to following all of her amazing accomplishments and I, too, will continue to be loud!

Brianna is a student at the University of Central Florida, majoring in Event Management. When she's not at Disney, Bri is most likely creating a new Pinterest board or re-watching Friends. Her talents consist of taking INCREDIBLE candid photos and finishing an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting.