Sometimes It’s Okay Not to Apologize

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

“Sorry.”

Why is that word such a common thing to say nowadays? I feel that that word is so overused that it is has lost its meaning. We apologize for every little thing we do, and it has become such a regular word in our vocabulary. Here are 20 things you should never have to apologize for:

Being Yourself

You only live once; don’t be something you’re not. Embrace the real you.

Having Your Own Opinion

You don’t agree? That is A-Okay! Every single person is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs.

Something That is Out of Your Control

If you can’t control it, why are you apologizing?

How You Feel

Maybe you’re having the best day ever and nothing can get you down, or maybe you woke up on the wrong side of the bed and everything annoys you. No matter your mood, you should never say sorry.

Asking for Help

Don’t be afraid to ask for help, whether it’s with homework, picking out an outfit or maybe something serious. You are not meant to do everything alone.

Not Wanting to Hang Out

Maybe you’re tired or simply not in the mood to go out. Everyone needs some me time.

For Loving/Not Loving Someone

Your heart wants what it wants. Maybe he/she is way out of your league or maybe you simply see that person as a friend. Whatever it may be, do not apologize.

For Telling the Truth

Sometimes the truth hurts, but that’s okay. Lies hurt more.

Being Early/Being Late

You’re 20 minutes early? 10 minutes late? Oh well! You made it and that’s all that counts.

Not Replying Quickly or Even at All

You are not required to reply instantly, and if you don’t want to reply at all, don’t. There’s no law saying, “you must respond.”

Ending a Toxic Relationship/Friendship

Sometimes leaving people behind is hard, but if they’re hurting you in any way, shape or form, get out. You deserve the world.

For Being Selfish

Sometimes you have to put yourself first. Don’t be sorry for doing so.

Saying No

You are allowed to say no, and you should not feel bad one bit for doing so. Don’t let anybody pressure you into doing something you are not interested in doing.

Ordering Dessert

You could die tomorrow, eat the freaking cake!

Doing Something You Love

Be passionate and do what you love! You are the only constant in your life so do what makes you smile.

For Not Knowing Exactly What You Want

Maybe you are confused about your major or where you want to go to school, or maybe you just don’t know what to order for dinner. No matter what, don’t worry! You’ll figure it out.

Being Successful

It’s okay to be proud of your accomplishments! The people that matter will be proud of you too.

Your Appearance

Maybe you got a stain on your shirt or a tear in your sleeve. Or maybe your hair is drenched in dry shampoo because you haven’t washed it in four days. Oh well! You are you and that’s all that matters.

For Talking Too Much

Don’t be ashamed for wanting to talk, you’ve got a voice, might as well use it.

For Wanting More

It’s okay to want something more for yourself. Don’t stop until you’re satisfied with what you’ve got.

Apologize when you hurt or offend someone. Apologize when you make a mistake. Apologize when you break something. But please never apologize for the twenty reasons above. It’s simply not worth it.

Hi! I'm Katrina Olson and I am a freshman at the University of Central Florida majoring in Hospitality and Event Management. I'm originally from a small town in southwest Minnesota. I grew up on a farm with two older brothers and many animals. I enjoy reading, writing, spending time with family and friends, travelling and trying new things. This is my first semester being a writer for Her Campus and I am excited for everything this group has to offer!
UCF Contributor