Say Hello to Your New Gay Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Since walking onto the UCF campus last Fall, I’ve become a new person. I wouldn’t say that I’ve changed, but I have come into a comfort zone which was never previously known. It was a type of liberation that I didn’t know existed. Since walking onto the UCF campus last fall, I have come out as being gay. I for once feel free.

I was leaving a zone that I had known my entire life and although it never felt right, it was what I had to cling to. I grew up in a highly conservative area and I never once felt the comfort to go against what was “right.” This comfort is something that I feel every person should be entitled to.  Imagine if you felt like you couldn’t talk with your closest friends about how you think that guy or girl in your math class is completely beyond gorgeous? I know right?! That would suck. Luckily that feeling was just in my head and I in fact could talk to my best friends about that kind of thing. They are the ones that made this transition so easy for me.

Since then, about 7 months now, I have grown so much as a person. It’s amazing that taking one thing off your chest allows you to breathe life in so many other areas. I can now freely talk about relationships, BOYSSSS, the straight-best-friend Ashley’s boy issues, and so much more. People are coming to realize that I am a great listener and one to talk to, seeing as all of these topics were off limits in the past. This liberation was one of the greatest things to ever happen.

After all of these great things have happened, I am here to serve you. Yes you, the readers of Her Campus UCF!  I want to get to know each and every one of you. I want to be the one you come to with all of the boy problems, the girl problems, the frenemies, my opinions on the latest trends, and questions on how to survive your years in college.

But really, I’m not joking. I’m going to be so upset if I don’t get any topic suggestions or questions to answer in my next article! Leave a comment below or email me, I’d love to hear from you! Email me at my very own Her Campus UCF: Your Gay Best Friend address yourfavoritegay@gmail.com! You’ll absolutely make my day. I don’t bite, well, not usually.

(; Stay tuned for more, loves!

Love YGBF,
Justin