This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It seems that our generation has an obsession with going back in time for fashion inspiration. Every year, girls around the world wear outfits very similar to those their mothers wore. After a trip to Forever 21 last week, my mom told me, “If I would have kept all my clothes and accessories from the ‘80s, I would be set!” For the last couple of years, the retro theme was neon colored, well, everything. Although I do love those bold ‘80s-inspired accessories, there’s only so much one can take!

I ran into this fashion-forward collegiette one day and couldn’t take my eyes off of her! She shined like a disco ball, casually walking through the heart of campus. I am in love with the metallic trend making its mark in fall fashion. After seeing bright colors and the infamous mint green trend all summer, metallic is a great way to shake it up. With this cold weather comes layers, so have fun with metallic fabrics to create a nice “pop” in your wardrobe. These stunning disco pants can be found in 11 eye-catching colors from American Apparel.

Another great retro trend is the over-the-shoulder shirt. This collegiette chose a graphic tee that makes it more relevant for current trends. If you love this look, check out this Oversized Graphic Tee at Forever 21.

Get creative with this one, and don’t be afraid to go metallic! Take risks, start trends, WERK!

Matt Fultz is a sophomore studying Marketing and Magazine Journalism. He is currently the official fashion blogger of Her Fashion and contributing writer for HCUCF. After college, Matt hopes to work for a fashion magazine in NYC and gain a reputation as a fashion photographer. Follow Matt on Twitter: @MattWFultz for fashion updates and more! 
UCF Contributor