Reinvigorating the Female Libido

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Be honest with yourself, ladies. How many times has your man made a move, yet you turn the other cheek blaming your “out of control cramps”? It wasn’t really your cramps, was it? That’s what I thought. More times than not, collegiettewoman are actually suffering from a lackluster of libido. You might be thinking to yourself, how could this be happening? I am in college, my sexual prime. Many causes are being blamed for this droop in our sex drive, including physical and psychological effects. After reading a fellow Her Campus writer’s article, When “Not Tonight…” Becomes Every Night: Why Some College Women Have a Low Sex Drive, I discovered the common causes. Stress and hormonal contraception seem to be the key killers of our sex drive as of late. Don’t let these causes deter you away from the sex life you want. What is a collegietteto do to get her “Marilyn Monroe” persona back?

First of all, let’s delve into what makes the female libido tick. Back in basic biology, we learned that a woman has a monthly menstrual cycle. Well, the female sex drive is directly correlated to her menstrual cycle. In the days approaching ovulation, the female testosterone levels increase, which also rapidly increases a woman’s interest in sex. According to Women’s Health, “Testosterone also initiates blood flow that causes your girly parts to become plump and sensitive. This leads to lubrication and, with any luck, one hell of an orgasm.” Now, what girl doesn’t want that?

Here are a few beneficial suggestions on how to make “not tonight” into “every night”!

1.) Exercise
If you want someone to be attracted to you, you need to first be attracted to yourself! Regular exercise increases your endorphins, which is the key to feeling sexier. And while you’re feeling sexier, you will slowly but surely become more satisfied with your sexuality. It’s one big healthy cycle! Continually exercising helps you de-stress, which attacks the key killer of lackluster libido.

2.) Eat This, Not That
Studies have shown that an unhealthy eating lifestyle can cause a dramatic decrease in your sex drive. If you do not believe me, just watch Super Size Me. Dr. Barbara Bartlik, a sex therapist with the human Sexuality Program at Weill Cornell Medical Center, says, “Sex is really all about circuitry.” Which means we need to incorporate more foods that keep circuitry into our diet. These types of food include, pumpkin seeds, bananas, celery, avocado, asparagus and garlic. They are high in vitamins, nutrients and aphrodisiacs, which are all helpful for healthy sex. Incorporate these foods into your new late-night romp snacks.

3.) Have More Sex
Haven’t you heard the more you do something, the more of a liking you’ll take to it? Well, studies have shown that the more sex you start having, the more your body will begin to crave it. Start by spicing up your sex life. Long-term relationships fall victim to depressed libidos due to spice-less sex routines. Try something new, like dirty pillow talk or role-play. You might find a whole new side of yourself that is ready to come out and play. Changing your sex routine keeps things exciting and more enjoyable. The more comfortable you become in a romp, the more fluid the other areas of your life will become.

4.) Seek Medical Help
If none of the above seems to help, do not be afraid to seek medical help. It might seem silly to bring this subject up to your doctor, but more times than not they have probably heard your story many times before. Your doctor is only worried about your well-being, including a healthy sex life. If you feel that your issue is beyond physical causes, but more psychological causes, seek your university’s counseling center for a non-judgmental escape. Getting your fears off your chest might help you be more inclined to open up sexually.

Enjoying a natural sex life is essential to our well-being as humans. So why not try these things to increase your sex drive? If your sex life is boring, do not be afraid to say so. You’re the only one suffering! Take a stand and take back your sex drive. It’s only natural.