Real UCF Guy: Attention ladies, Man up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Girls consistently say that they like guys with confidence. Well, guess what ladies – guys like it too! It certainly makes sense that guys with confidence turn you on. They’re more vocal about their feelings, they’re more willing to try new things, and their confidence can keep a relationship moving forward.

Believe it or not, a confident woman turns a man on just the same. It can be hard to find a levelheaded and confident guy that makes dating him easy, but there is some good news. Instead of waiting for his confidence to kick in, you can take the lead and even guide the beginning of the relationship if need be, all while giving off a confident and sexy vibe that guys desire.

Guys with confidence (not to be confused with arrogance) are practicing old-school masculinity and I’m here to tell you, it’s a lost treasure to relationships. Old-school masculinity had, as one of its positives, the expectancy of men to be self-sufficient. Treat all women with respect, open their doors, and yet be assertive. The same rules applied in dating. Ask the girl out, make the first move, lead the relationship, propose, etc. Basically, be in control. Now, control and dominance in relationships are wrong and significantly outdated, but confidence is not.

If you come across as a girl who knows what she wants and expresses it, chances are the guy is going to respond with more confidence in himself and a better outlook on the relationship. With this in mind, let’s look at two fun and easy ways your confidence can be sexy.

Ask a guy out. I’m going to come out swinging on this one. It has always seemed unfair and confusing that women wait for a man to ask them out. If you like a guy, simply go up to him and talk to him and/or ask him out. Don’t wait for him. Men are not simply pick-up line generating robots moving from woman to woman. Sometimes we’re shy despite having strong feelings for you. Other times we just haven’t said anything…yet. In either case, your forwardness, if done modestly, will come off as sexy and almost guarantee you a date.

The number one response I get after telling a woman to make the first move: “Do guys really like that?” The answer is so simple: “Don’t you?” Who doesn’t like hearing that someone likes them? It’s definitely a confidence boost and more than that, actually hearing you say it will assure the guy that you actually like him. That may sound a little…silly? Yes, but guys like being reassured just as much as you.

Pay for a date.
Aside from being old school, this “MANerism” makes guys feel powerful…in a good way. When a man spends money on his girlfriend, he’s showing her, but more importantly himself, that he can support both of them. Even though it’s extremely common for both the man and woman to work nowadays, it’s a confidence boost when you realize the relationship, as a whole, is financially sound. Money is very important in a relationship as it can help sustain it or help bring it down. You don’t need to methodically split every bill, but offering to occasionally pay (no matter how much it is) will show him you care about the relationship and that you’re putting something more than just your presence into it.

Please remember that the confident men I talk about are not the Ed Hardy models who are wearing their confidence (a.k.a. arrogance). What we’re talking about here are the men who demonstrate confidence in themselves and their relationship, whether they’re outgoing, shy, or a little bit of both.

As always, moderation is key. Just like the Ed Hardy model’s fake confidence turns you off, a woman who is too confident can come across as a man-eater or full of herself.

Until next time,

Real UCF Guy David

Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler