Real UCF Guy: 5 Ways to Take Advantage of UCF and Orlando

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

You always hear people say, “Well, nobody ever told me about that!” A staple of first-time parents’ vocabulary, this complaint is commonly used (usually whined) by young adults thrust into a “new world.” At this point in your life, choosing the college to attend is arguably the biggest decision you’ve made so far. It is also your “new world.” So how have you not been prepared? Teachers try to prepare you for college, counselors preach about its importance, and sometimes parents force you to go. What usually gets left out is the importance of picking the right school for you, based on location. No, not the cheapest school, not the closest school, and definitely not the school your parents want you to go to. Instead, you should choose the school with the perfect location both professionally and socially. Hopefully, you’ve chosen UCF because it’s the right fit for you. If you have, perfect! If not, and you happen to fall into one of the above-mentioned categories, here’s a quick guide to getting the most out of UCF and Orlando.

Orlando – Big City, Bigger Opportunities
I’ll bet that when you decided to attend UCF you didn’t think about, or even realize, how big a factor the city of Orlando was in your decision. For all its hype, Orlando truly delivers, in terms of both school contribution and social availability. UCF is a staple of Central Florida. For that reason alone educators and business professionals spend tons of time and money investing in the future (that means you!). Take advantage of this and apply for as many internships as you can, apply for as many jobs as you can, and keep on the lookout until you find exactly what you are looking for.

Thousands of People with Millions of Ideas

No one thinks they have the next great idea or invention until someone else comes out with it. Then they tell everyone, “Oh, that was my idea! I just didn’t have anyone to help me out.” If you have a great idea and want to pursue it, you are definitely at the right school. There are thousands upon thousands of students who attend UCF. I bet each of them probably has five really cool ideas for something they’d like to do or invent. The city of Orlando is also a big, thriving metropolis, with tons of people looking to invest in bright new ideas. If you are an aspiring entrepreneur or just some kid with a good idea, you have an advantage.

Summer All Year Long
If you have lived up north, you fully understand the appeal Florida has. Why spend half the year frozen when you can spend the whole year literally basking in the sunshine? While the north appears to have an advantage with their four true seasons, Florida can get a little chilly in the winter and has a pretty decent spring. Most of all, Florida offers something few states can: endless sunshine. The sun is out all year long. While the northerners wait for summer to travel, vacation, and explore outdoors, you can take advantage and enjoy the outdoors all year long!

With A Big School Comes Big Responsibilities Parties

I fully believe everyone lucky enough to be able to attend college should not take that for granted. I am also aware of how fun college can be and encourage everyone to take FULL advantage of that. Go to as many parties as you can, throw as many parties as you can, go out as often as you can, and never say you are too tired. Never again in your life are you given this much freedom, with this much potential, at this young of an age. Be safe (let me stress this!), but go crazy! No 40 year old thinks, “Gosh, that night back in college where I put on my PJs, ate a salad and fell asleep watching AFV was amazing. Good times.” No! The nights you can barely remember are the ones you “remember” 20 years from now.

The Beach
While at UCF, you have access to approximately 1,350 miles of coastline and are never more than a couple of hours (if that) away from the beach. Stop and think about that for a second. On any given morning you can wake up and decide, “I want to go to the beach today.” And you can! I don’t have to explain the beach to you; you already know its appeal. The best I can do is say, maybe that dream job you want so bad? Maybe it puts you in Wyoming? Yeah, Wyoming. Take advantage of the beach while you can.

Until next time,

Real UCF Guy, Dave

Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler