Read My Lips: Top Five Lipstick Colors and What They Say About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Don’t lie. We, as women, all love attention and feeling sexy when we go out. With a single shade of lipstick, we can go from being an average girl to a vixen.  But there’s more to it than picking a shade that matches our outfit and skin color. The color of lipstick you wear often represents your personality and/or the mood you’re in. So basically, you can read someone’s lips. Literally. Take a look at these top five lipstick colors and what they say about you.

Red: Tonight, you’re feelin’ hot.  You’re ready to go out and be noticed. As the most popular and bold lip stick color, red shows your self-confidence. This show stopping color proves your passion and energy, and studies show that women who wear red lipstick have better careers. And let’s just be clear: Men LOVE red lipstick. It shows your sexiness and that you’re open to a romantic relationship.

Tips: Try not to do big, bold eyes when you’re wearing red lipstick. You don’t want to look like a clown. Avoid red lipstick if you have small lips; sometimes it can make your lips look smaller, and nobody likes thin lips.

Pink: Pink is another one of those bold colors, but with a little more fun and a little less sexiness. Soft pink screams self-confidence, but studies show that those who wear bright pink lipstick actually have the worst love lives and are the least happy. The color pink itself represents feelings of love and romance, so those who wear it are sensual about the two.

Tips: Use pinks that have more of a red hue than a purple one. Although pink lipstick is a rising trend, you should save it for the nighttime. This color is hard to pull off, so be careful with how you use it.

Brown: Brown is back. Although it may not be your first lipstick choice, brown looks the best on every skin tone. It shows that you’re not afraid to be different. Brown proves your wholesomeness and stability in your career and love life. It also portrays you as grounded and down to earth.

Tips: Brown is best for the workplace. Avoid orange or “brick-colored” browns; they can make your teeth look yellow. Try to use browns that have a purple undertone to it (like the one pictured) or use a glossy brown to make it look more natural.

Coral: Before I say anything, you need to know that coral lipstick and pink lipstick are two totally different things. Coral is softer and more natural. Although studies show that those who wear coral have the least self-confidence, it truly shows your personality. This beachy color speaks for itself. It screams independence, energy, youthfulness, and excitement. If you want to make a fashion statement or stand out from the crowd, rock this trending color.

Tips: Because coral is fun and stimulating, you should avoid wearing it in the workplace. Also, wear this color according to seasons. Keep it for the spring and summer and avoid it during the winter and fall.

Burgundy: Burgundy is a color of refinement. This sensual deep red shows your true self-confidence and power. Those who wear it come off as successful, happy, loving, and sophisticated. It’s dramatic, yet subtle. Empowering, yet sensual. Wearing this color means you’re mature and elegant.

Tips: Match this shade with light eyes and a clear gloss to give it a smooth look. Avoid wearing deep reds with chapped lips. Like brown lipstick, this color is best for the workplace and is mostly seen during the winter season.

Kathryn Tromba is a Junior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in Interpersonal and Organizational Communication and minoring in Magazine Journalism. She is the Twitter Manager for @HerCampusUCF, the Public Relations Chair for Rent the Runway UCF, and a Campus Ambassador for InternQueen.com.