Rachel McAdams: Queen Of The Romance Genre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With recent talks about the potential resurgence of romantic comedies/romance films, and as a romantic film connoisseur myself, I started to think about which actress could be considered the “queen” of the romantic comedy/romance genre. There are numerous contenders, such as Julia Roberts and Meg Ryan, however, I have rarely ever seen Rachel McAdams truly get the credit that she deserves for the impact she’s had on the romantic comedy and, even broader, romance genre. Here are some of the best romance/romantic comedy films in existence, which also happen to star or feature McAdams, that showcase why she should be crowned as the reigning monarch of the genre:

The notebook (2004)

It’s difficult to articulate how phenomenal this film is or what a substantial impact it’s had on the romance genre. The Notebook is a story within a story as it begins with an old man named Duke reading to an older woman at a nursing home. The story Duke recounts is about two teens, Allie (McAdams) and Noah, who fall in love during a summer spent together, but they’re forced apart because Allie must return home. In order to avoid spoilers for those who still have the film on their watchlist, I’ll end the description there. The Notebook is a romance staple and McAdams’ performance throughout the film, especially towards the end of the film as Allie struggles to decide between being with her fiancée or Noah, showcases her ability to move an audience to tears and clearly convey the internal conflict her character was facing. The Notebook, in my opinion, is the greatest romance film ever created. It showcases romantic love throughout different stages of life and poses its own answer to the existential question of what our true purpose in life is.

THE TIME TRAVELER’S WIFE (2009)

While this film isn’t as well known as The Notebook, it’s just a tear-inducing. McAdams once again plays the main love interest and the story centers around Claire (McAdams) and Henry, in which, as the title implies, Henry is a time-traveler. The problems the characters face throughout the film are largely brought about due to Henry’s ongoing struggle to control his power, as he pops in and out of time which takes a toll on their relationship as it develops. Although this film will tear out your heartstrings, it’s truly a beautiful romantic story that allows viewers to connect with the characters because of the chemistry created between McAdams and Bana.

ABOUT TIME (2013)

This film is following the theme of being a tearjerker; however, it differs from the other two films because the tears that’ll be spilling won’t be because of the main romance. About Time is another one of my favorites because it leaves you staring at the wall contemplating the beauty of what it means to be alive. The central plot revolves around Tim’s discovery that he has the ability to time travel, as it’s essentially a genetic trait inherited through his father’s side of the family, and he wanted to use it to find love. He eventually meets Mary (McAdams) and they fall in love. An interesting aspect of this film is that while it focuses on romance, it also highlights the relationship between Tim and his father in such a heartwarming manner, showcasing a great father-son dynamic I’ve rarely seen in films. Overall, McAdams brings so much life and light to the role which adds to the warmth of the film and the organic development of Mary’s relationship with Tim.

Universal Pictures
MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (2011)

Not only can McAdams play the main love interest incredibly, but she can also play a supporting character in a romance film that is horrendously unbearable exceptionally well. This film revolves around a trip a writer named Gil takes with his fiancée Inez (McAdams) and her family to Paris, France. Each night that he’s there, he wanders around the same spot at midnight where he meets different famous authors from the 1920s. It’s a beautiful film which showcases Gil’s appreciation and love of writing and Paris, a love story between Gil and a character named Adriana, and commentary on the disillusionment that can result from a fascination with nostalgia. McAdams’ character is insufferable, as she clearly doesn’t respect Gil and his interests and serves as a stereotypical rich, arrogant, and superficial person. This film is an incredible addition to the romance genre as it simultaneously delves into the romance between Gil and Adriana and the love of literature and life.

Sony Pictures Classics
Wedding crashers (2005)

While all of the movies mentioned thus far lean more towards drama rather than comedy, this film definitely falls on the comedic side. This film is about, as the title suggests, two men, John and Jeremy, who frequently crash weddings to sleep with women. However, John meets Claire (McAdams) while crashing a wedding and falls for her. The film centers on John’s pursuit of Claire and the hilarity that ensues with Jeremy’s relationship with Claire’s sister Gloria. McAdams steals every scene she appears in, and the development of the relationship between Claire and John is extremely entertaining to watch.

There are so many other films that she’s been in that could fit within the romance genre, such as The Vow, and others that would fit more within the comedy genre, such as Mean Girls and The Hot Chick which have romantic elements but some would (and have) argued that they can’t be considered romantic comedies. All these films, however, showcase McAdams’ incredible acting abilities and her monumental effect on the romance genre makes her one of the most influential and important figures within the genre!

Anyelina Izzo is a senior at UCF and majoring in political science. She enjoys obsessing over romantic comedies, reading, and listening to The Strokes, Cage the Elephant, and all of the High School Musical soundtracks.