In the Pursuit of Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This past Halloween, many collegiates were dressing to impress. While some were preparing to delve into another persona, others were simply perfecting their own. The biannual Intern Pursuit was last Monday, October 31, which was held in one of the Student Union ballrooms. This internship fair was successfully put together by the UCF student Public Relations organization, Quotes. This was the first year the event was held on campus, which made it easier for students to attend.

Having never been before, I was not sure what to expect. I dressed professionally with a little dazzle in hopes of convincing employers to hire my barely experienced self. With almost two-dozen resumes in hand, I entered the room full of confidence, determined to find a company that would assist me in getting my foot into the industry. The companies were situated in an orderly fashion making it easy for students to roam the room. There were nearly 70 employers in attendance all searching for dedicated student interns for spring, summer, and fall! These employers worked in industries such as advertising, public relations, communication firms, government agencies, and non-profit organizations all located in the Central Florida area. As I made my way from table to table, I perfected my elevator speech while attempting to sell my talents to prospective employers. Through these mini-exchanges, I had the chance to practice and improve my communication skills, as well as my interview tactics.

If you were not able to attend this past fair, I undoubtedly recommend you make an appearance at this event in the spring. It is a huge success for all students. Within a week, I have been asked back to five interviews from perspective employers! All you need is a unique resume, fire in your belly, and a little charm! Don’t let this great opportunity escape you.