This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Name: Luke Hogue

Hometown: North Port, Fl

Major: Hospitality Management

Hobbies: Drinking Sweet Tea, Volleyball, Anything involving the circus, Traveling, Track & Field

Congratulations on being named Mr. UCF! What’s life been like with a title?

It’s been an awesome experience, one that is still a shock. I will walk around campus or be at the grocery store and be stopped with a “Congratulations, Mr. UCF” or “Aren’t you Mr.UCF?” While the title is truly an honor to hold, the true joy is the ability to maintain my busy and hectic life while representing this great university at the same time.

What was the hardest part of the Mr. UCF pageant for you?

In all honesty the hardest part of the Mr. and Miss UCF pageant was the announcement of the two victors. While I am extremely happy and honored to receive this title, it was extremely hard knowing that the whole process was coming to an end. The amazing students that I shared this experience with walked into a room four months ago as complete strangers, and now we’re a close family that shares the pride for this university that has impacted us all in such a positive way. With the pageants coming to an end, it meant that I would no longer be spending two nights a week with this awesome group as we fought through the blood, sweat, and tears to put on two amazing nights as we left it all on the stage.

How do you plan on using your title to engage with the UCF and Orlando communities?

My platform is “Youth Empowerment” and that is something I hold near and dear to my heart. I seek to help bridge the gap of the youth with the elder generations to truly allow the young minds to make that change in society that they wish to see. With that, I look to reach out to college students and the school systems not only here in Orlando, but around the state of Florida. From there, provide the support and encouragement necessary to assist the young students to betterment of society as a whole.

Even before Mr. UCF, you were very involved on campus. What’s the best part of being a student leader?

Campus involvement has played a huge role in my collegiate career. From serving as Director of Volunteers for UCF Homecoming for the past two years, to taking an active role in the LEAD Scholars program, to even being a proud brother of Beta Theta Pi, my college experience would not be the same if it weren’t for these stellar organizations. While it is all very time consuming and often adds stress to my life, I wouldn’t change a thing. The relationships that I have gained from being so involved on campus are ones that I am forever grateful for. Whether it’s the career experiences, memories made,  professional connections or the hundreds of friends that will last a lifetime, being a student leader has impacted my life for the better.

Why do you believe it is important for students to be involved on campus?

You often hear, “You get out of college what you put in it.” That is completely true. College is a chance for four amazing years. 10-15 years down the road you won’t look back and say “remember that lecture we had” but rather the amazing times you had at sporting events or partaking in campus traditions. Campus involvement is the key to truly making the best out of your years here.  

What has been your favorite UCF memory so far?

While there are many to choose from, besides being selected as Mr. UCF 2016, there is two key moments that will forever be engraved in my mind. The past two years I have had the privilege to serve on the UCF Homecoming Executive board and helped host and organize all that the homecoming week entails. With that, each year we plan the number one college tradition, “Spirit Splash.” As the student body rushes in the Reflection Pond with smiles on their faces, determination in their eyes, and Knight pride pouring from their soul, it is without a doubt an amazing experience for all of Knight nation. The past two years, as I stood in front of over 15,000 Knights as they chanted for ducks while the UCF fight song played in the background, have truly been my favorite UCF memories. I still have one more year and I look forward to all the memories that it has in store.

Maddie is a senior Marketing major at UCF. When she's not writing for Her Campus or her personal blog, you can find her hanging out at Fashion Club or in OSI working on the Mr. and Miss UCF shows. Despite popular belief, Maddie isn't actually the tallest girl in the world. If you're wondering where you've seen her before, it was most likely at a #UCFBusiness event. Maddie enjoys loud pop music, scented candles, and any food with sprinkles on top. She often discusses the SNL cast as if it is a sports team, and likes to pretend that this is endearing. Follow Maddie on Instagram and Twitter! 
UCF Contributor