Princess Kate Update

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Kate Middleton was glowing as she publically showed off her baby bump for the first time this week. After announcing her royal pregnancy back in December, the Duchess of Cambridge spent time in the hospital for Hyperemesis Gravidarum. Up until now, she seemed to be keeping her pregnancy very private.

Kate finally let the world catch a glimpse of her baby bump on Feb. 19 when she stepped out for her first public engagement since the announcement of her pregnancy. The Duchess visited London’s Hope House. She is a patron of the Hope House, a residential center that helps women struggling with addiction. Kate spoke encouraging words to the women staying at Hope House and even talked with them about how her pregnancy is coming along.

The princess looked stunning at the event, wearing a MaxMara wrap dress. Kate wore no coat, giving us a full view of her baby bump.  

Shortly before Kate’s visit to Hope House, award-winning author Hilary Mantel publically attacked the Duchess, saying that she was a “machine-made” doll with a “plastic smile.”  Mantel compared her to Princess Diana, saying she lacks the personality and human frailty that Diana had.  Mantel also made comments that insinuated Kate’s only role in life is to breed.

Hilary Mantel is a British novelist who has won two Man Booker prizes.  She made her comments about the Duchess at a lecture at the British Museum.

Princess Kate seemed to be unaffected by these accusations as she confidently stepped out to the Hope House.  The royal baby is due in July. In the meantime, hopefully we will see more of the beautiful Princess Kate and her growing baby bump!