Potential Isn’t Just in Her Album Name

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Singer, songwriter, and performer are all names associated with the beautiful Ms. Emily Kopp.
Student at the University of Central Florida, she’s every boys’ dream: smart, gorgeous, and has the voice of an angel.

Fortunately for me, I had the luxury of sitting down and getting to know the real Em…here’s her story.

Q: How old are you?
A: I am 21.

Q: What year/major/minor?
A: Event Management (Major).

Q: Where are you from?
A: Originally, Louisville, Kentucky, but I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Q: Why did you choose UCF?
A: Well, I wanted to stay in the state, since I have the Bright Futures Scholarship. When I toured potential colleges in High School, I fell in love with the UCF campus and the Rosen College of Hospitality Management. I also applied to UF, but I knew that Orlando was the right place for me to be…it felt right (besides the fact that I got rejected from UF!).

Q: When did you start making music?
A: I’ve been singing and playing instruments my whole life… but, I began to actually create and write my own songs about a year and a half ago.

Q: Who are your inspirations in the music world, and why?
A: I would say that I have quite a few, and all for different reasons. Firstly, John Mayer is probably my top choice as far as songwriting and musicianship is concerned. I really admire his writing style and how he is able to convey a certain emotion, scenario, or message without directly/literally saying it. Also, I absolutely love the fact that he is a true musician. His live show is incredible, and he plays with some of the most talented and established musicians out there. Secondly, is Joss Stone. Her voice is something that truly inspires me. She has this incredible tone to her voice and is able to control it so well. As someone who sings with that soulful style, it certainly inspires me as a singer. Lastly, I’d like to include Sara Bareilles. Sara B. inspires me because of her authenticity. She toured and recorded for a long time (on her own dime), before getting picked up by a major label. She truly did it on her own and earned her right to be where she is today. Her songs are catchy, her voice is beautiful, and she’s authentic as can be.

Q: What kinds of genres do you enjoy the most and what are your favorite bands?
A: My favorite genres include singer/songwriter, folk, and a bit of indie. But, mostly, I’m a sucker for relaxing singer/songwriter music. My top bands/artist include: The Civil Wars, John Mayer, Gregory Alan Isakov, and a less well-known but incredible band called The Milk Carton Kids.

Q: What kinds of instruments do you play?
A: Most importantly, I play the egg shaker. Besides that, I play the drum set and the guitar.

Q: When did you realize you wanted a career in music?
A: I think I realized that I wanted to be a part of this industry when I came to college. I began working at a music venue here in town (where I still work). It opened my mind to new possibilities and made me realize that music can certainly be a viable career path.

Q: How did your career take off?
A: Well, I wouldn’t say its “taken off” just yet. But I think that I have made a dent in the Orlando music scene in this past year. I’ve also toured around the Southeast quite a bit. I’ve worked really hard to market myself and really spread my music. It is all about getting out there and playing shows. That is really the way to get heard. Even with such things like Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook, artists cannot solely rely upon this; it’s just as, if not more important, to play gigs and it takes a lot of crappy gigs to get to the good ones! It’s all about hustling and faking it till you make it.

Q: What are your favorite quote(s)?
A: “Everybody is just a stranger, but that’s the danger in going my own way.” -John Mayer

“I’m bigger than my body gives me credit for.”- John Mayer

“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.”- Henry David Thorough

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
A: Who knows! Wherever I am, I will be happy. :)

Nina DeSarro is a senior at the University of Central Florida, pursuing a degree in Communication with a minor in Magazine Journalism and Sociology. She is the Assistant Editorial Director for UCF's HC chapter, and has been an avid Feature writer since her freshman year. Within her varied group of friends, she’s known as their “relationship guru,” specializing in the male/female dynamics. She is also an active member and former finance chair for her sorority, Alpha Epsilon Phi. In addition to being an avid writer, she can usually be found “plugged-in” with Dave Matthews Band streaming. Her ideal world is filled with Cosmo magazines, Vanilla Lattes, Sex and the City, Louboutin’s, and anything glittery. Her goals include, living and working somewhere in the North East for a television or magazine agency.