A Pirate’s Life For Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

We pillage, we party, we riot and loot
Drink up me hearties, yo ho
We howl for beads and don’t give a hoot,
Drink up me hearties, yo ho

My three sisters and I with my pirate dad and brother before the parade!

I was born into a family of pirates, queens, kings, maids, debutantes, pages and flag boys. What do you make of this fairy tale mess? A South Tampa family enthralled in a unique, annual holiday known as Gasparilla. Being students of UCF, many of you probably know of this pirate-infested parade. But for those that are completely clueless to this madness, I will fill you in on the purpose of this celebration, and hopefully you will become just as captivated by this festival as I am!

The Gasparilla Pirate Festival is an annual parade held every last Saturday of January. The Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla and the City of Tampa host this festival in honor of the infamous Jose Gaspar, who, as stories say, was a captain of a Spanish pirate ship who operated in South Florida. The inception of this parade was based on the concept of pirates invading the port and the Mayor “reluctantly” handing over the key to the city to the savage-like pirate captain and his “krewe.” The parade hosts fifty participating krewes, several area high schools and university marching bands and dance teams, and also local businesses aboard decorated floats. Hundreds of thousands flock to the streets of Bayshore, with the gorgeous view of Tampa Bay in sight and the sound of cannons deafening your hearing, to stumble and pillage their way through the crowds at a shot to catch embellishing beads, a sight of the incredibly detailed floats and interaction with eccentric pirates. Each krewe and organization has one or more floats that travel down the parade route. Krewe memberships are highly sought after in many social circles and celebrate many ethnic and cultural themes.

The day begins with each krewe prepping in their own unique way for the parade. With my father and brother being members of the Ye Mystic Krewe of Gasparilla, I have attended their annual pre-parade prep for most of my life. The pirates of YMKG start the day by feasting on a delectable breakfast and cocktails, then make their way to get completely made over into pirate character. After socializing with families and friends, the pirates make their way to the “Jose Gaspar” pirate ship that sets sail across the bay to invade the port of Tampa. Once the invasion is complete, the pirates are bused back to the start of the parade. The spectacle is filled with pirates throwing beads, dancing, music, and all sorts of entertainment along the roughly 3-mile route. Gasparilla is a daylong event that requires enough stamina to last you through at least three tailgates. It is a slightly toned down, day-version of Mardi Gras.

Gasparilla is more than debauchery and beads: it’s about a fun-filled tradition that keeps growing. It is the one time a year where sophisticated adults can enter a pirate persona and have it be socially acceptable. Gasparilla has become a sacred tradition to many and will continue to be my favorite holiday for many years to come! If you’ve never been, you are surely missing out!

About to board the ship, beads in tow!