The Paleo Diet Made Easy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

1. Clean out the Pantry

Before you start the new Paleo diet, the first and foremost thing you have to do it clean out everything in your pantry that is not listed below. This is not a typical crash diet, Paleo is a lifestyle change.

You can do Paleo for the recommended 30 days, or you can keep it going with your own moderations after the 30 days are up. This is the healthy way to lose weight, and it allows you to have 3-4 meals per day. Say goodbye to starving yourself to look good in that new bikini.

If you are going to start this diet, you mustn’t be lead into temptation. If your roommate has enticing food, you are just going to have to suck it up and have some will power! Remember that YOU are the one who is going to get that hot body that you have always dreamed of. There is no better time to start then before summer hits.

2. Hit up the Grocery Store

Protein

Protein is the most important source of food for the Paleo Diet. Since you will not be eating carbs, this is where you will get your main source of energy. You need to make sure that protein is added to every meal in order to keep this diet effective.

The recommended proteins are: chicken breast, chicken thigh, flounder, snapper, trout, halibut, mackerel, bass, salmon steak, salmon fillet, shrimp, New York steak, rib eye steak, round steak, ground beef, beef ribs, rump roast, beef stew meat, pork loin, pork chop, pork ribs, baby back ribs, bacon, pork roast, lamb chops, lamb rack, venison steaks, and eggs.

Veggies

Mix up the colors! Veggies are essential for Paleo. If you do not like a lot of veggies, try to go with the seasonal ones. That way, they will be on sale and you can try out new ones to see what you like.

The recommended veggies are: asparagus, avocado, artichoke hearts, brussels sprouts, beets, carrots, celery, daikon, zucchini, fennel root, kale, chard, dandelion greens, spinach, acorn squash, butternut squash, yam, sweet potato, red pepper, yellow pepper, green pepper, red cabbage, green cabbage, and napa cabbage.

Fruit

Try and limit it to one serving per day of fruit if fat loss is your goal! I do not need to map out all the fruits there are (that is self-explanatory). For fat loss, try to stick with berries, melons, citrus, apples, and pears.

If you are an athlete or work out a lot you should eat bananas, papayas, and mangos. They are more suitable for after your workout since they replenish what you lost during your workout.

Think of fruit as being your sweet for the day. You do not want to overdo it!

Fats

Don’t run for the hills when you hear that word. As crazy as it sounds, there are fats that our body needs and that won’t pack on the weight. Fat is as important as fuel, is a building block for many of our cell membranes and hormones, and much more. Fat is what most of our brain, nerves, and reproductive hormones are made up of.

Stay away from trans fats, because the concept is over 50 years old, and our body has no idea what to do with them. Trans fats look and act similar to saturated fats. If you want to lose fat, make sure to limit nuts to 1-2 oz. per day. Just remember that fat is not your enemy, just the wrong fats are.

The fats acceptable are: olive oil (extra virgin), coconut oil, avocado (oil and whole), macadamia (whole and oil), almonds, and walnuts. These may not have been the fats that you were hoping to see, but your body needs them, so make sure to include them in your diet.

Spices

Everyone needs a little more spice in their life, so why not add it to your food? If you want to keep your meals different and more tasteful, add some spices to the mix. Try to get at least 10 if not 20 of them to keep your cooking at its peak.

Some of the options that you can use to spice up your meals: allspice, basil, cardamom, cinnamon, celery seed, dill, fenugreek, garlic, ginger, curry, oregano, cilantro, nutmeg, rosemary, thyme, garam masala, bay leaf, salt, herbs de provance, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and black pepper.

Drinks

This part is simple. Stock up on espresso, teas and mineral water, as these are your beverages of choice. Say goodbye to soft drinks, juices, etc. They are not your best friend.

3. Cooking your Meal

The majority of your meals look something like this:
– 4-8 oz of lean protein such as chicken, lean beef, turkey, pork loin or seafood.
– Several servings of vegetables; either raw, steamed or lightly cooked.
– Finally, round out the meal with good fats from Avocado, olive oil or a handful of unsalted nuts such as almonds, pecans, macadamias or walnuts.

4. Exercise

This diet does not call for strenuous exercise, but as with all diets, you need to make sure to stay active. Every individual has a different outlook on active. Just make sure that you are doing exercise on a regular basis. Whether it be a morning walk, or a strenuous workout at the gym, staying active is always a good thing. In Paleo, the goal is to also reduce stress, so do not overdo a workout on a daily basis. Keep it simple.

5. Sleep

As collegiettes, it is hard to get our recommended amount of sleep. The ideal amount of sleep is 8-9 hours. If you have trouble going to sleep, try to black out your room. You can do this by removing any LED lights from your room, and staying off the computer or TV for at least an hour before you go to sleep. If you do this, hopefully you won’t have to rely on an alarm clock because your body will naturally wake up on its own.

Confused?

If you want to know more about the Paleo Diet, check out the book by Robb Wolf, or go to his website at http://www.robbwolf.com/. He also has a live podcast. And believe it or not, there is a new app for the iPhone and iPad for the Paleo diet!