An Open Letter About UCF Greek Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Yesterday, UCF released some rather shocking news. No, it wasn’t the usual “suspicious package found on campus…Oh wait, it’s just someone’s backpack” warning. This news left a knot in my throat and tears in my eyes. It felt like a punch in the gut.

UCF Fraternity and Sorority Life posted on their website:

“The University of Central Florida has halted Greek Life social, new member education and initiation activities in order to work with fraternity and sorority chapters on comprehensively addressing alcohol and hazing issues.

Fraternities and sororities are prohibited from holding social, new member education or initiation activities. Organizations are permitted to hold organizational business meetings. Participation in philanthropic activities must be specifically approved by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Chapter activities will resume when we are satisfied that our Greek culture reflects the values of the UCF Creed and, more importantly, that we can ensure compliance with laws and university regulations governing hazing and alcohol. For many chapters, we are hopeful that will occur before the end of the spring semester.

Many Greek chapters and students exhibit model behavior and set high standards for success in the classroom and as campus and community leaders. However, recent events have demonstrated that our Greek community needs a culture change when it comes to the use and abuse of alcohol as well as hazing.

The university will be engaging members of the Greek community, including students, advisers, national organizations and chapter alumni, in conversations about the future of Greek Life at UCF. We also are encouraging chapters and national organizations to share best practices for promoting responsible behavior.”

This news broke and left the UCF Greek Community with many questions, to say the least. Some of these questions are answered on the Fraternity and Sorority Life website at http://fsl.sdes.ucf.edu.

However, as someone directly affected by this suspension, I believe there’s some things that need to be said.

To Whom It May Concern,

I am a member of the UCF Greek Community. However, I am not going to disclose which sorority I am a member of in this letter. This isn’t about my specific Greek letters, this is about our entire community. Most people reading this already know which house I call home anyways, because that’s how proud I am to be apart of something so wonderful.

If you would’ve asked me my senior year in high school if I was planning on joining a sorority, I would’ve laughed in your face. In fact, people from high school didn’t even bother asking me because they knew where I stood. They knew I thought it was shallow and silly; that I thought they would want me to always wear Lilly Pulitzer and bows in my hair and exemplify perfection.

After much encouragement from a few UCF Greek Alumni friends of mine, I reluctantly signed up for Panhellenic recruitment. Long story short, I fell in love. When I ran home on bid day, I wasn’t just running to what would turn out to be the most incredible group of girls I’ve ever known, I was running from all previous inhibitions and pre-conceived notions I had about typical sorority life.

My sorority sisters are the greatest support system I could ever ask for. I honestly don’t know what I would do without the diverse and extraordinary group of ladies I am blessed enough to call my sisters. They’re my rocks. My role models. My entertainment. My encouragers. My motivators. My best friends. The girls I can always count on to laugh at my bad jokes, read my never-ending articles and hug me when I’m being a big crybaby. They push me to be the best version of myself. They’re constantly inspiring me to strive for more, get involved and make a tangible difference…Like I see them do so often.

I wrote an article a few weeks ago about chivalry being dead, but boy, did my fraternity friends prove me wrong about that. They depicted chivalry in remarkable ways. I have always been pleasantly greeted with respect by the fraternity gentlemen at UCF. When my car overheated last year on my drive back to school, I was overwhelmed with texts and calls from my fraternity big brother and best friends about being willing to drive an hour to come get me.

Since going Greek I have seen a change. A positive change. I have never once been hazed in even the smallest sense. I have never been forced, or even encouraged, to drink alcohol or participate in any illegal activities. I have never felt alienated or uncomfortable. I have never felt pressure to be perfect or something I’m not.

To me, the Greek Community has never been what this ban is about. It’s about being there for the community that has supported us. It’s about volunteering not only in your own organization’s philanthropy, but making a difference in all of the philanthropies represented in UCF Greek Life. It’s about being a powerful presence and positive representation on campus. It’s about going to IM Sports games and losing my voice obnoxiously cheering on my sisters. It’s about hanging out on the couch at the sorority house in between classes and cracking up watching YouTube videos. It’s about always having someone to be comfortable around. It’s about living on a legacy of those who strive to be more and do more than what is asked of them. It’s about going above and beyond the call of your average college student. It’s about family and friendship and being a part of something bigger than yourselves.

I am constantly amazed at what UCF Greeks are doing at our school, in our community and even worldwide. The copious amounts of money raised for charities, innumerable hours spent volunteering and the countless lives that have been changed by UCF Greek Life. This is what it’s all about. This is what we all need to focus on. This is what makes me proud to be a part of this amazing community.

Sincerely,

Molly Slicker

Molly Slicker is a Human Communication major with a minor in Film. She is an entertainment junkie who appreciates good humor, good vocabulary and good friends. She gets way too attached to fictional characters and her favorite sports teams. She is inspired by her family, faith and the 2001-2002 cast of Saturday Night Live. Follow Molly on Twitter for mostly sarcastic updates about celebrities and her life's awkward situations or on Instagram for pictures of her feeble attempts at craftiness
UCF Contributor