Obama vs. Romney: Politicians at War

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Usually, watching TV while studying for midterms is not the most advantageous choice a college student can make – unless that student is trying to watch the second Presidential debate. On Tuesday night, President Obama and Governor Romney faced each other in a town hall styled debate at Hofstra University, in Long Island, New York. In a circular room, both presidential hopefuls addressed audience questions guided by the moderator, Candy Crowley of CNN, and simultaneously knocked at each other’s political records and planned policies.

The first debate on Oct. 3 was widely described as a bore. Journalists and social media jumped on Obama’s passive attitude behind his podium, particularly the lack of eye contact between the two candidates. Obama often looked down at his notes rather than turn toward Romney and engage him. This time around, however, the president was ready to take on his opponent and the two fought for every second they could use to defend, qualify, clarify, and attack.

In this debate, the topics addressed included the economy, jobs, taxes, the deficit, immigration, healthcare, gender issues, and foreign policy. Here are a few highlighted moments from the debate:

Governor Romney often criticized President Obama on the goals he has not been able to fully achieve, the changes he has been unable to make, and the slow growth of the economy. Romney specifically identified Medicare and Social Security reform, immigration policy reform, and reducing the deficit.

On what he has not yet been able to accomplish, the president said, “It’s not for lack of trying,” and he was confident about his office’s ability to get more done in a second term. “Governor Romney has made some commitments as well. And I suspect he’ll keep those too.”

In terms of tax reform, Romney said, “I want to bring the rates down, I want to simplify the tax code, and I want to get middle-income taxpayers to have lower taxes.” Obama also wants to reform the tax system. He said, “I want to give middle-class families and folks who are striving to get into the middle-class some relief.”

Both sides avoided questions and gave run-around-the-stage answers to certain questions. Their views on equal pay for women were also part of the discussion, but were also an example of a moment in which both candidates equally skirted around an answer. Romney’s answer talked more about hiring women, not their pay when they got the job. So did Obama as he praised women, as they are “increasingly the breadwinners in the family.”

When Libya came up in the debate and the tragedy of losing four Americans in the attack in Benghazi, President Obama took responsibility for the lack of security. When asked about Secretary of State Hilary Clinton’s acceptance of responsibility he said, “She works for me. I’m the president and I’m always responsible, and that’s why nobody’s more interested in finding out exactly what happened than I do.”

Romney attacked the president on the lack of security and claimed he never declared it an “act of terror” until two weeks later. According to transcripts from a speech the president gave in the Rose Garden at the White House on Sept. 12, the day after the attacks, he did in fact call it an “act of terror.” However, the term “terror” was barely used in the following two weeks of coverage, as Candy Crowley explained later, and attention was drawn to protests of the YouTube video that offended Muslims.

Governor Romney and President Obama both have plans for job growth and intend to bring jobs back from overseas. Both plans involve reforming taxes, including the president’s plan to provide incentives to companies who will invest here rather than overseas. Romney said he wants to “make America the most attractive place in the world for entrepreneurs, for small business, for big business.” Both candidates also recognize the need for job availability for graduating college students and the need for more financial accessibility for a college education.

So, after 90 minutes, who won?
In a CNN/ORC post-debate poll the numbers showed 46% said Obama and 39% said Romney. The poll only measured the views of people who watched the debate. CNN anchors went into more detail in their coverage, and Wolf Blitzer called it “Some numbers to digest.”

The next debate is Monday, Oct. 22 at 9 p.m. and Election Day is Nov. 6. If you want more information about this debate or you want to watch it in full yourself, CNN and the Huffington Post kept up with the action in live blogs and video that will still be available online. CNN also has the debate transcripts on their website.

Sources:
CNN
Huffington Post

Samantha Henry is a Feature Writer for HCUCF and is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. As a music festival enthusiast, she loves to write about music and how it influences our generation.
Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler