My Top 10 Comfort Shows So You Can Find Your Next Favorite Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Content Warning: Spoilers ahead; reader discretion is advised.

I watch a lot of TV. A lot. And, as much as I like to binge new shows (Abbott Elementary, anyone?), I always seem to find myself going back to rewatch my favorite comfort shows again and again. For anyone looking for their next favorite show, here are my top 10 comfort shows in no particular order.

New Girl

New Girl is one of the greats. Anytime I’m feeling down, this is one of the first places I go to feel better. Sometimes I go for a full rewatch, but if I choose the right episode, that’s all it takes. And just try to tell me you didn’t fall in love with Nick Miller, Nick Miller from the streets of Chicago. I won’t believe you, but you can try.

Modern Family

There’s just something about this show. It’s silly and fun and real. They make fun of the characters as often as they have me crying over them. I can never choose a consistent favorite character. The best I can ever do is pick a favorite per episode. The long run of the show made it feel like I was watching my own family grow up.

Lucifer

Moving away from comedies, but not too far. Lucifer may be a drama, but there’s definitely a comedic element to this show. This is another one I just keep coming back to. From the characters to the mythology, I couldn’t stop watching once I started.

Ted Lasso

If you read my article about this show, you must have known this was coming. I’m sure you’ve heard about it at this point and if you haven’t watched it, well, just stop reading this, go watch it and then come back to find your next show. Ted Lasso can make me cry and laugh not just within the same episode, but the same scene. Just talking about it makes me want to do another rewatch. 

Bones

What can I say, I love me a crime procedural — and Bones is arguably one of the best. The relationship between Booth and Bones is built up so well and executed brilliantly. A lot of procedurals struggle to find the balance between the cases and the characters’ personal lives, but this show does it so well.

Gilmore Girls

Maturing is realizing that Lorelai is actually the reason to watch Gilmore Girls, not Rory. If you’ve missed this show, go get your mom and watch it together. It’s just one of those shows you have to watch with your mom and with so much food. Order in everything you can think of. It’s kind of like a rule. Oh, and let me know what team you’re on, I’m Team Jess personally.

Veronica Mars

This is the one I’m currently rewatching and it’s just so good. I mean, what could be bad with Kristen Bell? If that doesn’t convince you enough, this show is so beloved that they did a movie and then recently came back with another season. I’m telling you — you’re missing out if Veronica Mars has never made your acquaintance.

Criminal Minds

How am I going to talk about crime procedurals without Criminal Minds? This show tends to focus more on the case than the personal lives, but we get enough glimpses. I honestly couldn’t tell you my favorite character on this show either. I could try to name one, but then I’d just feel bad I didn’t say any of the other characters. They’re all just so great. What’s your favorite BAU team?

12 Monkeys

12 Monkeys is another show I’ve written about before and I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve rewatched it in the last two years. I love a character-driven show, as you might be able to tell, and this one’s so good. And if you’re looking for something with a satisfying ending, this is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Schitt’s Creek

Another one that had the whole world watching and for good reason. Schitt’s Creek is one of those shows that was just done right. The comedy’s great, the character arcs are incredible, and the finale is perfect. If you like Stevie, Emily Hampshire plays a wonderful character named Jennifer on 12 Monkeys, too.

Now, this is a list of my top comfort shows, but let’s be real: there are plenty more. These are the shows I can’t stop coming back to and are always on my list to rewatch. From the comedies to the dramas, I don’t think I could ever get tired of these shows.

Megan is a Senior at UCF majoring in English with a Creative Writing track. When she isn't reading or writing, you can find her watching her favorite TV shows and movies. Megan loves to travel and has already crossed 10 countries off her list. You can find more of Megan on her YouTube channel www.youtube.com/meganreneevideos, on Instagram @meganreneetoday, or TikTok @meganreneetoday