My Boyfriend Isn’t Super Romantic But That Still Works For Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Me: I’m writing a story about relationships

Him: Gross

Next Day…

Me: Come see me. I miss you

Him: It’s leg day

Me: So…

Him *never responds*

This is my life. I’m in a relationship with someone who doesn’t like relationships. Not saying that every relationship must be filled with romantic gestures, walks in the park and hand holding etc., but my boyfriend could honestly do without all the “lovey dovey” stuff.  He doesn’t like when I buy him gifts, he doesn’t like romance movies and he doesn’t particularly care for Valentine’s Day among other things.

In general, he isn’t the ideal relationship type of guy. He’s super laid back. What does this mean in terms of our relationship?

1. He isn’t the one to text 24/7, sometimes I won’t hear from him in hours
  2. He doesn’t see anything wrong with travelling outside the city and not notifying me
  3. He doesn’t like telling me how he feels
  4. Most of all he doesn’t want matching outfits? I mean really dude! Ha!

It’s weird. I wonder sometimes how me (a very romantic person) found herself falling for someone who is the total opposite. I am the hopeless romantic. I like the idea of having matching outfits, and watching romantic movies and thinking that my relationship would be like Derek and Meredith from Grey’s Anatomy. I’ve always loved Mcdreamy. But then I noticed that we were more like Damon and Elena from the Vampire Diaries. Him the realist and me the dreamer. He “bit me” and I woke up to realize that love isn’t what you dream it to be but what you make it to be. Then I remember how he never fails to be there when I need him the most, and I realize I value who he is as a person more than I value what I think my ideal relationship should be. So no, he isn’t outwardly romantic, but he shows that he loves and cares for me in his own way, and that makes him my McDreamy. From taking care of me when I’m sick to dropping everything he’s doing to help me when I’m in need, he continues to surprise me. These are just a few of the many things that I don’t expect him to do because of his feelings towards relationships, but make me love him even more.

I appreciate you for trying, and even though you may not wear the romantic hat all the time, when you do it suites you quite nice. So here’s to you, the boy who isn’t the relationship type, but does it because you’re in love. You’re half man, half amazing. Something like a superhero without the mask or cape- Inventive, kind, and loving in all the right ways. We’re total opposites but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m invested to our strange connection.  I’ll still love you and support you, show you I adore you, even though I know you hate when I show you too much emotion. The type of guy I wouldn’t mind laying back and watching sports with and cheer your favorite team on, even though I’m not a sports fan- Because you’re willing to do the same for me. Like watching Dirty Dancing while listening to me sing all the songs; In my best singing voice: I’ve had the time of my lifeeeeeee. I’m glad that you are mine. You’re the perfect verse over a tight beat… truly hard to find.

Alexis is a junior print-digital journalism major with a minor in business. She loves snickers, writing, dancing, and collecting elephants. Her favorite movie is Dirty Dancing and thinks the Minions are adorable.Alexis is a writer for Her Campus at UCF and a Southern Regional Journalist for her sorority Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. In her spare time Alexis loves to watch Netflix. She aspires to start her own magazine.
UCF Contributor