Meet Your New Miss UCF 2012, Alexa Schmidt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Ladies and Gentlemen, you are about to read about UCF’s newest royalty. Miss UCF 2012 is a normal college girl, or at least the girl we all strive to be. She is classy, put together, polite and did I mention breathtakingly beautiful? Her name is Alexa Schmidt. I know you’re intrigued, so read on collegiettes!

Q:Let’s start off with the basics. Where are you from? Where did you attend high school? What year in school are you? What is your major/minor?
A:Well, I’m originally from Laguna Niguel, California, but my family moved to Jacksonville due to my Dad’s business relocating onto the east coast. I attended Douglas Anderson School of the Arts in Jacksonville. I am currently a senior at the University of Central Florida studying Psychology with a minor in Dance. I have full intentions of staying at UCF for my entire reign.

Q:What do you enjoy doing in your free time?
A:I am a really low key, low maintenance person. So I enjoy hanging out with my friends and my boyfriend. I enjoy watching movies and doing normal things that college students like to do. My passion is for the arts, so I really enjoy crafting, drawing, painting, dancing. You name it!

Q:What has been your favorite part about attending UCF so far?
A:For me, I always take it back to dance. I attended an arts school for middle school and high school, so I did not get to experience going to football games and things of that sort. I came to UCF because of the opportunities it offered for me to experience a regular college life and still be immersed in my passion for the arts. Coming into school I wanted to pursue a science degree, but also wanted to maintain that connection with dance. UCF allowed me to take on dance as a minor, which most schools do not offer such thing. I am very grateful for that.

Q:How long have you been dancing?
A:I have been a dancer since I was teeny tiny, like around three years old.

Alexa performing to Adele’s hit, Someone Like You

Q:What made you decide to audition for the Miss UCF pageant?
A:Well, a group of my friends were planning on auditioning, and my other friend Chris Pombonyo was extremely involved in the program in 2011, so they convinced me to audition. It sounded so fun to do together, so I thought, why not! It ended up being a way more impactful experience than we thought, and we all decided to audition again for the 2012 crown. It’s kind of like its own little sorority. You become so close with these ladies during rehearsal and practice. I feel so lucky to have met them.

Q:Was the Miss UCF 2011 your first pageant?
A:Yes. I was second runner up! The Miss UCF pageant is different from every other pageant out there. It enlightened me to audition again to strive to represent the University of Central Florida in such a large way. I truly enjoyed working with Veronica Livesay and Chris Pombonyo. The caliber of the program they put on and the way the get involved in the community is so special and different from any pageant out there. They both encouraged me to run again.

Q:What have you found to be the most difficult part of the pageant?
A:I felt the most pressure during the private interview. The panel of judges came from all over the state as well as from all different professions. It was nerve-racking! I definitely prepared me for future speaking occasions. It helped me become more comfortable in being able to think on my feet.

Q: How long did the interview last?
A: Around 10-15 minutes long. You can ask me anything now. I’m not afraid! Those types of interviews really pushed me to step it up and gave me more confidence.

Q: What was your favorite experience throughout the entire Miss UCF pageant?
A: Well, this year we got to work with the guys since the pageant was changed to the fall semester. Any competition can be stressful, so the boys really helped de-stress us girls. The boys definitely lightened the mood during practice and rehearsal.

Q: Your dance routine was definitely a hit throughout the crowd. Did you choreograph it yourself?
A: Yes, I did. I’ve been dancing since I was three, so it wasn’t difficult to choreograph. I went to a performing arts school for middle school and high school and am now a dance minor, so I’ve been around choreographing for many years. It has pretty much become second nature to me.

Q: What is your platform for your Miss UCF reign?
A: Smartmoves, which is a skills development program. I instituted this program at the Boys and Girls Club here in Orlando about a year and a half ago. The program focuses on promoting a healthy image, which entails body image, healthy eating habits, and physical activity. Smartmoves provides the children with knowledge of all the opportunities they can gain from making the right decisions.  I would like to expand Smartmoves to local elementary schools and possibly even high schools.

Q: Are you excited to be paired with Mr. UCF, Zach Cabrera?
A: Yes! I think he is going to do a fantastic job. I knew him from before the pageant, but I am really excited to get to know him more on a personal level. It is going to be very nice to have someone with me during this whole experience. We are actually the first duo to go from start to finish with no interruptions. It’s going to be very special!

Q: How will you be training for Miss Florida in July 2012?
A: The main things I need to focus on are a new choreographed dance and the onstage interview. I will also be doing the usual pageant training by working out and staying healthy.

Q: Are you wanting to continue with pageants after Miss Florida?
A: Well, it was something I got into by chance last year. The outcome will definitely determine what my future holds. Whatever the outcome is, I’ll be happy with. I will just hope for the best! Being involved in pageants has been such a great opportunity within itself.

Q: What would you like UCF students to know about their current Miss UCF that they might not already know?
A: Everyone thinks that dance is my talent, but actually I can draw and paint really well. I have a sketchbook filled with fashion designs and random sketches. I am a creative, hands-on type of girl.

Q: What type of advice would you give to girls wanting to run in Miss UCF in the future?
A: Stay true to yourself. Don’t change who you are to fit the mold you think the judges are looking for. Be the young woman that is well rounded and stands out of the bunch.

There is your 2012 Miss UCF in a nutshell. Alexa Schmidt is one genuine and talented lady! I’m sure glad that she is representing our fine university! All of us here at Her Campus UCF wish Alexa the best of luck at Miss Florida!