Mary Teal Reyes ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Cute as a Button

Originally from Miami, Florida, Mary Teal is the creative writing major who is certain to make the sun shine for you even if you’re feeling cloudy. With a flair for humor, a huge smile for someone who’s only “four-foot-eleven and three quarter-inches” and a love of adventure, you won’t be having a bad day for much longer. Mary Teal loves making people smile.

She loves being active and her favorite hobbies are boating, lobster fishing and regular fishing with her family. “I feel more comfy by water,” she said. This past summer she leapt across the Atlantic over to Europe where she backpacked for two and a half months by herself and then joined up with a study abroad class, writing restaurant reviews. She travelled all over England, France and Germany.

In Munich, Mary Teal went sunbathing at the English Gardens, and on her 20th birthday she sang Spice Girl karaoke in London because, as she said, that’s just what you got to do when you’re in London on karaoke night. One of her most memorable moments, she said, was on Bastille Day (France’s Independence Day) when she got to drink wine and watch fireworks by the Eiffel Tower with friends. Her trip to Europe was “the most amazing experience of my life,” she said. But ultimately it made her realize that as much as she liked the alone time she “would’ve appreciated company since I’m such a social person.”

No girl can perfectly get through life alone. Mary Teal said she’s close to her family, and “nobody can make me laugh as hard.” Her parents’ constant encouragement has driven her to be successful all the while making them proud. “Anytime I’m down, they know exactly what to say,” she said, and “they remind me every problem has a solution and tell me I can do it, even little stresses. They know exactly whether I need a joke, a hug, or someone to vent to.” Her brother is also a big part of her life. “He’s always able to calm me down and reminds me I’m overthinking.”

Mary Teal’s other favorite thing is the Holiday Season – except for the cold weather. “If you’re grumpy on the Holidays, I don’t want to be your friend,” she joked. I told you she’s funny.

Samantha Henry is a Feature Writer for HCUCF and is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. As a music festival enthusiast, she loves to write about music and how it influences our generation.
Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler