LGBTQ+ Safe Zone Allies at UCF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

“Safe and sound. We’re safe and sound.” Ladies, it’s time to get involved and make a difference! Have you heard about the amazing opportunity UCF students have to become Safe Zone Allies? If you don’t know what a Safe Zone Ally is it’s time to get educated.

Created by therapists at Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), Safe Zone Allies is a program for UCF students, staff and faculty members who are interested in showing visual support for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or questioning people at the university. Becoming an ally on campus is simple, easy, and completely worth it! Through the trainings you’ll learn how to create a “safe and sound” environment for another student by simply listening, encouraging, and understanding.

The first training, LGBTQ+101, is designed to provide introductory information about LGBTQ+ identities, history, and discussion about bias and prejudice. During my first training, I thought I knew more than most about the LGBTQ+ community, but I was surprised within the first 30 minutes! The program is led by two trainers, who provide you with information packets before the training, and during the first training you are encouraged to step out of your comfort zone.  

In order to become an official Safe Zone Advocate you must attend the second training which focuses on how to be an advocate and an ally via a social justice framework. The second training will definitely push you even further out of your comfort zone, and one task the trainers ask you to do (optional of course) is to place yourself in the shoes of someone in the LGBTQ+ community and explore how life from an early age would be. Although uncomfortable at times, the training is extremely necessary because to be an advocate you have to “experience” how life may be for the person needing your support.

In both my experiences I was one of the only (if not the only) undergraduate students at the trainings. Students who are passionate about gay rights, or just interested in learning about the LGBTQ+ community should take advantage of this incredible program. Not only will you be able to possibly make a difference in another student’s life through compassion and support, you’ll grow as an individual.

Becoming a Safe Zone advocate is an extremely rewarding process and I encourage every student to become an ally. Check out the website and learn more about the program: http://safezone.sdes.ucf.edu/. If you want to be a part of creating a safe and sound environment here on campus there are still trainings available!

If you are someone, whether you are in the LGBTQ+ community or not, who needs a safe and welcoming person to talk to please look for the programs logo anywhere on campus or call UCF Safe Zone Allies at (407)823-2811.  

Info via http://safezone.sdes.ucf.edu/