Landing the Summer Internship of Your Dreams: Step 4

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Here is the last and final step that you need to master to give you that extra edge in landing the summer internship of your dreams. Make sure you take note of all four steps in order to ensure the best, start to finish, summer intership. Good luck HC beauties!

4. Make your experience count

Workplace

Congratulations! Now you have finally earned the internship position you have been stressing over. This doesn’t mean that the hard part is over. You must now make the most out of your experience. Be sure to always arrive on time, and stay later if it is necessary. You want to take the internship as if it was a real job out of college. Proving yourself to the company is a big factor; show the company that you are excited to be there. Internships are about networking, so make sure to keep close connections with all employers. There comes a point during the day where there might not be any tasks for you to complete. Do not take this as a break to Facebook stalk, instead ask, “Is there anything else you need help with?” This will not annoy your employers or your boss, but instead show your dedication. If there is something that you are interested in learning about, share it amongst the office. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so take advantage of the endless opportunities. Finally, when the internship is complete, send a thank you note. This is a great way to keep in contact for the future and truly tell the company how much you enjoyed the experience. Keep in mind that you might want to turn your internship into a job some day.

More Tips

• Always check that your Facebook is appropriate, companies will look at this.
  • Take advantage of the resources we have right here on campus. Career Services offers resume critiques, practice interviews, job search skills, and assistance with cover letters.
  • Check out the new MTV show, Hired. This is a documentary series that tags along as recent grads go on their first job interview in many different industries.
  • Look out for Internship Fairs in Orlando
  • Create a LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com) to meet, communicate, and network with other professionals