Landing the Summer Internship of Your Dreams: Step 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Landing a summer internship can be a long process and takes a lot of patience, as will learning all of the steps needed to make it the best experience possible. Step one was just the beginning, and now it is finally time for step two! I am here to provide you with advice for all aspects of a summer internship. Everything from the beginning of the application process, to making your dreams come true, and having the most rewarding summer possible!

2. The Application Process 

Experience 

Apply for as many internships as possible! I can’t stress this enough! Experience is not the deciding factor; don’t let that stop you. If you are confident and show the company that you truly want to learn from them, you can easily achieve your goals. I applied for my first internship my freshman year with no experience at all. Before I knew it, I landed my dream internship in New York City. 

Resume & Cover Letter 

Send your resume and cover from a professional email account. When applying for numerous internships, the best thing to do is set up a Gmail account. Sexy screen names won’t cut it. Your resume should include your objective, education, professional experience, and extracurricular activities from your college years only. Keep your cover letter short and sweet; one page is the perfect length. The letter should include three paragraphs; introduction, professional, and personal. You also want to show the company that you are knowledgeable about them, by giving insight somewhere in your cover letter. If you are unsure how to close and sign the letter, use “Best.” More importantly, always include a cover letter, even if the application does not require one. This is the one chance you have to stand out among the hundreds of other students applying for the same internship as you.