Key West, Florida: My Hometown, Your Spring Break Destination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Many hours later, after about 400 dollars in tolls and 30 gas station snacks, my drive back home begins to change. I-95 rest stops turn into Miami townhomes, Miami townhomes turn into Homestead farms, and finally, after desperately waiting, all this fades as I begin to see the Atlantic to my right and left. The first thing I notice is a Pelican, bouncing about. Then, a large white boat, speeding by like a paper crane in a Jacuzzi tub. And finally, a kayak, two people, a romantic moment beside some mangroves. This is how I know I’m getting home.

And while this long stretch home is utterly distracting and completely dangerous, being from Key West, Florida, has molded me into the person I am today. My education and experiences may change me, but I will always be an island girl. Key West has made Kino Sandals a staple to my closet. The reason I turn into an unruly child at the beach. And frankly, it’s the only reason I can ever find a moment of relaxation in the haze of this uncontrollable college life. Learning to be driven, but laid-back, has been a gem of a lesson to keep forever. I owe it all to the salty air, slow streets, and bustling businesses.

I was born and raised in Key West, and never moved until I left for college. As an infant, a large portion of my time was spent with extra puffy water wings, fabulous sunglasses, and a baby tan that just wouldn’t quit. Boating was a weekend must, with a different “Middle of the Atlantic” spot every weekend. I eventually graduated to the pool noodle and a small fishing rod, along with magical family dinners, domino games, and poker championships late into the night. I began chipping away at my resume in high school, using that small town connection for volunteer opportunities and sponsorships. My favorite breakfast spot, as well as my hairdresser, proudly plastered photos of me in band to show their financial support. I told a different person every week about my UCF acceptance at our local Publix. When Key West finally opened a T.J.Maxx, I heard about it…at UCF. Key West is a home to me, just like Titusville, just like Oviedo, just like Flint, Michigan is a home to thousands of people.

Which is why I owe so much to this Island, and why I can never understand the huddle of spring breakers. While some people can only see it as a beach town to toss their beer cans around for a few days, I just cannot put my feelings aside for my island to take it lightly. It’s difficult to get into the party scene when you’re watching people throw soda into the water you’ve been swimming in since you were three, making fun of homeless people you fed at the soup kitchen last week, and stealing rental bikes owned by the parents of somebody in your Biology class.  Because these things have value to me, one that only be gained by being an islander.

So this spring break, wherever it may take us, remember that that location is not just a destination. It’s a home. Chances are, it probably means something to someone. So let’s explore it some, learn some of the history and the culture, pick up after ourselves, and treat the businesses like they should be treated. Happy Spring Break everyone!

Photo credit: 1, 2

Natalia is a proud latina, and a Senior at the University of Central Florida. Majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies, with a double minor in Mass Communication and Mass Collective and Culture Behavior, she hopes to eternally study the World for all its' features. An old soul and a child at heart, some of her favorite things include flowers, her 3DS, cheap paperbacks, 80's sitcoms, drag queens, and nifty scarves. Always practicing mindfulness and balance, Natalia dreams of a picturesque beach, with no clouds in the sky and a perfected Spotify playlist. Keep on Keepin' on. 
UCF Contributor