This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I see this time and time again. Whether it be on Facebook photos or in person, girls have been brainwashed to thinking models are the image and goal to strive for. Specifically speaking, I’m seeing girls sacrifice their personalities and spirits in hopes to be seen as “beautiful.” Too often have I seen girls trying to keep “cool” in conversations with guys to come off as that picture perfect image. What they’re really doing is not being themselves. Maybe this is in fear of rejection? A safety net? Denial? What is it? 

In my eyes, you disrespect yourself if you try to suppress any portion of it. Why hide who you are? You are one in about 7 billion, no one is like you, so why would you want to be like someone else? One of my favorite quotes of all time is by Adriana Lima, “Be happy and you will be beautiful.” It really is as simple as that. Your quirks, your laugh, and your interests all came from within you and you alone. That is what makes you special. That is what makes you different from the fake bimbo sitting next to you that hasn’t read this article. That girl is a follower, a leech, jumping on board to whatever she thinks will make her desirable.

You, doll, are not. Be proud to have those billions of other people that aren’t like you. That personality and smile allow you to have a glimmer about you that is so dazzling. Let it out. Show your personality. In my experience, this factor is what people fall in love with. It’s like a gravitational pull. That initial physical attraction won’t last forever. Never second guess yourself and go get ’em. Make me proud.

-YGBFF