This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you’re anything like me and you’re searching for some new soulful jams while Ed Sheeran is on his hiatus, writing music, we’ll then I have the perfect artist for you: Jarryd James.

James is a cool, Australian lad that is all about chill vibes and making authentic music. If having a cute accent or being a calming presence isn’t your thing, well maybe his music will do the trick. His music is simultaneously melancholy, yet uplifting, which is fitting for many listening scenarios. Basically if you’re a living, breathing human being, Jarryd James is for you. James does not let down in my interview with him or performance wise, when he gave an entertaining set, opening for BROODS on tour. Check out my interview with the talented musician, delving into his music career journey thus far and learn about his alcohol preferences.

Her Campus UCF (HCUCF): Your album High just came out this summer. What song are you most proud of and why?

Jarryd James (JJ):  Probably the song “High” because I gave up making music about a little while ago because I just ran out of energy and money. I was doing it for 10 years and then I got really depressed when I wasn’t making music. So, when I started making music again, the first song was “High” and it is really important to me.

HCUCF: That’s really nice. With that being said, what’s your favorite song to perform?

JJ: Umm… lately my favorite song has been “Burning Out”, which is pretty fun to perform. But that’s a tough one. I don’t really like to put songs on album that aren’t favorites. I like all of them equally. The album has a flow to it I really like.

HCUCF: Is there something you want to accomplish in the next 10 years, regarding your career or just life in general?

JJ: I want to get a dog. I love beautiful Golden Retrievers. My whole goal is to buy a house with a big enough yard to have two or three dogs and that’s all I do all day. I just want to hang out with my dogs.

HCUCF: Who is an artist you would love to collaborate with, dead or alive?

JJ: I don’t really have a favorite artist but I’ve always liked Frank Ocean and J. Cole. I’m really into hip-hop and rap.

HCUCF: So you played at Lollapalooza this summer, what was that experience like?

JJ: It was really cool. I’m new to the festival scene and I enjoyed my time there. Chicago is a cool place, too.

HCUFC: You have a clear history with Broods, most recenetly being your song “1000x“. You’ve toured and created music with them in the past, what is it like working with them in general?

JJ: Oh they’re the worst!!!! Haha, just kidding. We like to rag on one another in interviews, but no, we genuinely enjoy one another’s company. They’re some of my best friends and we get on with each other really well with another, so I’m really happy to be touring with them again for the second time.

HCUCF: Because you’re from Australia, what are some misconceptions Americans have about Australians?

JJ: Probably that kangaroos and koalas are everywhere is a myth. Kangaroos only exist in the wild and most Australians have never seen a kangaroo because most people live in cities. Also, everyone thinks that Australia is like a hundred years behind and it’s like the Wild Wild West.

HCUCF: So, this brings me to my next question. I don’t know if you are aware of the Margot Robbie Vanity Fair profile, in which the journalist referred to Australians as “throwback people” and also insulted Robbie as a whole. As an Australian, what was your take on the article?

JJ: I would love to have a conversation with that dude! I can’t believe I didn’t know about this. Australia and New Zealand are so ahead of the times, even when it has to do with fashion and at the moment with music, I think there is some cool material coming out from there. And again, most people live in cities. It is really not what people think it is, thinking that there are snakes and spiders everywhere. I do come across people who have never been to Australia, but think they know everything about it. It is insane. I love Australia; it is a great place to live. They have public health care, universities are paid for by the government and then the students pay the government back their study fees when they’re making around $50,000 a year. The way our country is set up is great!

HCUCF: It really sounds like it! Also, what Australian food is your favorite?

JJ: So we have meat pies, which are kind of small. But I also love vegemite. I’m not even joking. I could eat that everyday, but you have to eat it properly. Americans eat it wrong, though. Vegemite is meant to be a condiment, like you put butter on your toast and then use vegemite to flavor it. You don’t just slam a spoon into the jar and pop it into your mouth. I would hate it if I ate it like that. The ratio is really important when it comes to vegemite.

HCUCF: Sounds like I need to try it.  Anyways, since you’re in Orlando, do you have any plans to go to any of the theme parks?

JJ: Unfortunately, no. We are leaving early in the morning to do a show in St. Pete, FL. Maybe one day, though.

HCUCF: Kind of random, but I did some Instagram-stalking and saw that your favorite kind of weather is when it is rainy and thundering. What do you like to do on a rainy day?

JJ: Read books, watch movies and drink – of course!

HCUCF: Okay that leads me into my next question. I’m turning 21 years old in February and I know you like Jack Daniels from the looks of your Instagram. What is the best mixed Jack Daniels drink you recommend?

JJ: I just like it on the rocks or Jack and Coke. I mostly drink Jack and Coke. I’m not drinking at the moment, for the past three weeks, though. I have to look out for myself. But on every tour stop, I have two bottles of Jack Daniels waiting for me upon arrival. All the crew is drinking them. I’m not taking a break from drinking because I went TOO hard at the start of the tour.

HCUCF: Again with the Instagram investigating, I saw that you met Elton John. What was it like meeting an icon and how did you meet him?

JJ: Apparently, he is a fan of my music and it just all came together. I got a message from my manager and he told me that Elton John loves my music and would love to get together when possible. Then, I got another message saying he was in Brisbane at the moment and wanted to meet me. He then invited me to the show, so I went down there and hung out for about 30 minutes before the show. He was just telling me how much he enjoyed my music and we were talking about other artists, too. He showed me pictures of his kids and it was just really, really cool. When he went on stage, he dedicated the song, “Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me” to me, which was the most incredible thing that has ever happened to me. He is the nicest person and then he passed my music onto Ed Sheeran. The both of them love finding new music, so those are some really amazing people I’ve connected with.

HCUCF: Okay, now for a fun question to wrap things up. What’s your go-to song that you belt out in the shower?

JJ: Oh, I don’t sing in the shower because I sing so much already. But I do have to say that my guilty pleasure song would have to be “Party in the USA” by Hannah Montana, aka Miley Cyrus.

To stay up to date with all things Jarryd James related:

Website

Instagram

Twitter

Facebook

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Junior at the University of Central Florida. In the words of Britney Spears, "I'm not a girl, not yet a woman".
UCF Contributor