Culture > News

Is The Disney Magic Gone? Orlando Disney Fans Say Farewell To Splash Mountain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you are a fan of magic and wonder, you know of Disney and the classic ride Splash Mountain which has become both a family and childhood favorite for many Disney visitors and fans in Walt Disney World. Splash Mountain is a ride located in Magic Kingdom based on the Disney movie Song of South made in 1946 and based on a book with similar content made in the 1800s after the Reconstruction Era. The movie itself is widely known to be racist with mentions of “tar babies”, other racist languages, and patronizing of slavery at that time. But one could argue that Disney is known for its patronizing and stenotype due to their brand following fairytales.

In response to criticisms of racism relating to the source material of the ride, Disney has announced a revamp of this ride with a ride dedicated to The Princess and the Frog called Tiana’s Bayou Adventure which will follow Disney’s first Black princess and her journey in New Orleans. The movie itself has been praised for its great scenes, impactful characters, and showing that anyone can make their dreams come true with hard work and dedication. This altering theme will be completed in May of 2024. But what does the Orlando community have to say about the closing of their beloved ride and the turnaround of this ride?

In the Orlando community, there have been many opposing views on the closing of this beloved ride for magic residents here. Some say that it’s about time for Disney to include more diversity, accept their discriminative history, and make changes while others have criticized Disney for taking away their childhood ride. Some have even brought into question the idea of cancel culture and are blaming the most recent generation for sensitive responses to situations similar to this. Many have spoken of the damage that happens when people become “too sensitive” and even blame Generation Z for our more active approach to controversy in our society. Of the people I spoke to, many had this idea in their head of their childhood rather than the context of the ride, this fantasy of a ride with bears and bunnies rather than seeing the ride for what it truly was. They see it as an erasure of Disney’s history and a potential decline for Disney as a whole. But you can’t blame them for seeing it this way for so long. Growing up seeing this may have desensitized them to the images and context that was present. So, who is right? Is this ride racist? And should Disney have taken these actions to axe this ride and change it?

Of all the people I chatted with in the Orlando community, one stood out most of all the conversations. A Florida native, who proudly calls herself a Southerner, and grew up with the stories of Brer Rabbit, and the chorus of “Zip- A- Dee- Doo- Dah”. She pointed out that this once classic ride is now the song of a relic time and has instead called for a redesign to update to the times. The legacy that Disney has relies on the fact that they are a family-friendly experience that caters to the memory-making of families everywhere, where they can have a magical visit with Mickey, a picture in front of Cinderella’s castle, and a sprinkling of pixie dust. It’s a child’s dream come true and an adult’s unforgettable moment with their child. For young adults, it’s a wave of nostalgia, a moment of joy where they can relive these moments from their childhood. An atmosphere of magic surrounds the area and it’s like truly stepping into a fairytale. Where one can leave the doom and gloom of the real world and the news that plague us, if not for a short while. But wouldn’t you hate for your family to pay for this magical experience and instead revisit the hostile and racist language of a tone that is now calling into question our society, as it should?

Splash Mountain may be a staple in Disney Parks, but it is like a shameful secret in the Disney catalog. Disney itself knows of the racism and harsh stereotypes that really shine in this movie and doesn’t display it in its archives or even Disney Plus, it’s hard to even find music from this surface-level cheery-tone film. When Disney knows it made a mistake they bury it well, which could explain how many don’t know of the real story behind the cheery songs in the background of their memories. Although many in the Disney community admit to not feeling an attachment to the original source material as they step on the ride, the feeling exists for others. Additionally, with the climate of our world as a whole, and despite Disney’s past praise for “inclusivity” and “diversity,” they have allowed this ride to remain a staple in many childhood memories. Splash Mountain’s themes are anything but showing inclusivity and diversity, instead, patronize, and share imagery of a time that should be long forgotten and more damaging than good.

So that brings us back to Tiana and her rise in the Disney Parks which is soon to come. Was this the right move for Disney to move in a new direction? Some Orlando fans say no, but many are excited for this new wave in the Disney future and to see Tiana rightfully take her place in the sun. As for this Disney fan, I am ready to see how Disney is going to celebrate inclusivity and this wonderful princess who has meant so much to so many Disney fans out there. However, I still feel that there may be a sinister presence at the new ride as they keep the old bones of Splash Mountain alive and present in this reimaging of a Disney classic. Only time will tell what’s to come for this historic attraction.

Gabriela is a junior at the University of Central Florida and a writer for Her Campus at the University of Central Florida. She is pursuing a degree in Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Psychology. When she's not studying she is singing, doing photography, or watching Netflix.