Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

Will Harry Styles Be The New Elvis?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

With the recent release of Baz Lurhmann’s Elvis Presley biopic starring Austin Butler, there has been an Elvis renaissance. The film follows the rise and fall of “The King,” starting with his childhood and ending with his untimely death. At the same time as the film’s release, Harry Styles has been making history as a solo male performer and it begs the question of whether Harry Style’s and Elvis Presley’s careers are comparable. If so, does that make Harry Styles Gen Z’s Elvis Presley? The two share striking resemblances in their careers and these similarities could eventually propel Harry Styles to leave the same legacy that Elvis did. Here are five things the two stars’ careers have in common.

The fans

When Elvis began his music career in 1954, he grew a massive fan base that supported him throughout his entire career. He captured the attention of America by performing soldout shows across the country. He was a heartthrob and a teen idol. Sound familiar?

Harry Styles has a similar ever-loyal fan base made up of former Directioners and self-proclaimed “Harries” that frequently fly across the country to see his performances from “Love on Tour” multiple times. Rob Levine, a former teen heartthrob from the “brat pack,” said that if anyone were on the level of a heartthrob by today’s standards, it would be Styles.

AUSTIN BUTLER as Elvis in Warner Bros. Pictures’ drama “ELVIS,” a Warner Bros. Pictures release.
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
The controversy

Elvis and Styles are musicians who have been the subject of controversy due to changing societal norms. During the early parts of Elvis’s career, he was filmed from the waist up due to his on-stage movements being perceived as “obscene.” He was known as “Elvis the Pelvis” and his dancing was not received well by conservative Americans, who thought his movements negatively influenced youth culture. His relationship with black artists also threatened conservatives, who thought that the black influences in his music would destroy the soul of America.

Harry Styles came under attack for his Vogue cover in Nov. 2020 when he wore a dress, an action that was deemed by conservative Americans the “feminization of contemporary males.” In both instances, shaking hips and wearing dresses had no noticeable negative effects on people, but the societal norms that were challenged scared the “heart” of America and caused critics to paint both singers as delinquents. 

The rebrand

Both artists realized after a point in their careers that a rebrand would be necessary in order to stay dominant in the music industry. Elvis revamped his image during his 1968 “Comeback Special,” where he donned a full leather outfit. This came after a time when he was trying to shed his movie star persona because the Hollywood movies were no longer reflective of the messages that he wanted to send.

Harry Styles went through a similar situation where he wanted to shed his boy band persona and prove himself as a serious solo artist with the release of his freshman album, Harry Styles. This solo rebrand was essential to the popularity of his next two albums, Fine Line and Harry’s House

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
The movies

Although both artists were successful in the music business, they also turned to Hollywood and spent time acting. Elvis was known for starring in musicals and was quoted saying that he wanted to become the next Marlon Brando. While in demand at first, his movies became oversaturated and eventually not as popular. The movies he starred in became cheaply made and didn’t focus on his original goal of becoming a serious actor.

Harry Styles has also begun acting and has been in movies like Dunkirk, Don’t Worry Darling, and The Eternals. While he was able to gain a cameo in a Marvel film and star in numerous movies, there has been discussion about how good of an actor he truly is. Part of this criticism came from his acting in Don’t Worry Darling. He acted opposite Florence Pugh, and critics argued that Pugh’s strong performance overshadowed Harry Styles’ and made critics lose faith in his future acting pursuits.

The residency

Finally, both artists have made history with musical residencies. Elvis was the first artist to have a Las Vegas residency. His residency began in 1969 and continued on for seven years with a total of 636 sold-out shows. The idea of a residency wasn’t common until Elvis did it, and since then artists such as Liberace and Celine Dion have followed suit. Harry Styles has recently made history after selling out 15 straight nights for “Love on Tour” in Madison Square Garden, a feat no other artist has accomplished. 

The impact that Elvis had on the music industry can be seen every day. His name is synonymous with Las Vegas. His sound inspired modern rock ‘n roll. To this day, Graceland brings in millions of dollars and he’s one of the most popular Halloween costumes each year. There is no doubt that Elvis is truly a cultural icon. Harry Styles has said himself that “Elvis was probably the first person I knew besides my family when I was a kid. For that reason, there was something incredibly sacred surrounding him.”

While Styles has risen to prominent success and has become a superstar in his own right, it’s still too early in his career to tell if he will become a cultural icon on the same level as Elvis. If he continues on his path to stardom as he is now he may be able to reach the same legacy and recognition, but it will be some time before we can truly classify him as the Elvis of our generation.  

Hailey is a junior at the University of Central Florida pursuing a degree in marketing and a minor in mass media. Besides writing, her hobbies include keeping up with celebrity gossip, reading, making collages and watching TV. She cites her biggest inspirations as Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and Blake Lively, but deep down knows that some days you just wake up feeling like Nick Miller.