Icon of the Week: Anita Ekberg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Lately, I’ve been experimenting with ’40s and ’50s hair and makeup, and what reason not to? There was something special about those decades that pushed fashion boundaries and forced women to rethink beauty. Beauty was no longer slick curls and covered bodies. Surely, “form” was a word they knew in fashion, but as the ’40s rolled around, a new concept changed fashion forever: “function.” The versatility of clothing and hair changed dramatically within a span of 10 years, allowing women to experience some of the best fashion history has ever seen. From lounging playsuits and teddies, to daytime pajamas à la Mimi Baker and, of course, Rita Hayworth hair. Daaahling — I can’t get enough inspiration! With “function” offering new ideas in fashion and hair (victory rolls, anyone?), it was an exciting and surprising moment when someone was able to break the social mold. A new group of women rose to the scene, kicking the late 1800s Gibson girls to the curb and welcoming the new Pin-up look.

These women whose pictures were “pinned-up” onto walls across America came to be known as glamorous, self-constructed and independent. Of the many pin-up models that were loved (Betty Grable, Ava Gardner, Jane Russell, Brigitte Bardot, etc.), one was particularly striking enough to win adoration and fame in a foreign country: Miss Anita Ekberg. Born in Malmö, Sweden as Kerstin Anita Marianne Ekberg, she was brought into the world of fashion at a very young age. She worked as a fashion model in her teens (how many people can say that?) and went on to pageants for Miss Malmö and Miss Sweden, both of which she won at the age of 19. With these wins, she traveled to the United States to run for Miss Universe. Although she didn’t win, she earned a contract with Universal Studios for being one of the six finalists.

She received lessons in etiquette, drama, horseriding and fencing and met some of the most important people to change her career. Shortly after Miss Universe, she met Howard Hughes, a Hollywood filmmaker who insisted she change her facial appearance and her last name, as it was “too difficult to pronounce.” Being the glamorous pin-up that she was, she refused to change anything and simply stated that people would learn if she became famous — and indeed they did. She skipped many of her drama lessons for modeling jobs. Soon, her pin-up image was widespread and landed her guest appearances in notable films such as Casablanca (1942) and Private Secretary. She continued working in films, each time working with huge Hollywood stars like Lauren Bacall, John Wayne, Audrey Hepburn and Marcello Mastroianni. During her time with Paramount Pictures, she was publicized as “Paramount’s Marilyn Monroe” and was the first to ever play a James “Bond Girl.” 

It wasn’t until her starring role in La Dolce Vita (1960) where she refined and defined her own image as a sultry cult sex symbol, portraying the unattainable dream woman. Without a doubt, she made a mark in the film industry that brought attention to the portrayal of female beauty. While many argued her controversial body image corrupted societal morality and may have lowered the standards of womanhood, many others showed their support claiming that it was a “positive post-Victorian rejection of bodily shame and a healthy respect for female beauty.” Nothing is as beautiful as confidence feels. What do you think?