This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

ICYMI: football season is back! August 31st marked the University of Central Florida’s first home game of the season and celebrations took place at the first tailgate of the fall semester. Rain or shine, UCF Knights have proven their dedication by packing the Bounce House, the FBC Mortgage Stadium, and taking home an incredible victory.

With game days upon us, I’m most excited for my game day outfits. Although, the process of putting together these outfits can also be a bit daunting. A recent trend on TikTok called “Wearing vs. Styling Your Clothes” has shown how much intention goes into a great outfit, but putting certain pieces together in the first place is a tricky feat. So to make the process a bit easier, here’s a guide to help bring an extra bit of flare to your game day outfits. The best part is that each of these tips can be incorporated in your own unique way!

13 going on 30 closet?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios

Figure Out Your Vibe

Behind every great outfit is an initial idea or plan. With so many fashion pieces to choose from, putting together your game day fit can be overwhelming. To round down your choices, think first about what kind of vibe or aesthetic you want to create. Are you leaning more towards a sporty, athletic fit? Try going for biker shorts and oversized jerseys. Does a more cute and flirty look better suit your aesthetic? Consider pleated skirts and tube tops. Getting an idea of how you want your outfit to feel not only makes it easier to add pieces together but can also help with your comfort level. Do you want to stick to the vibes you’re already familiar with or are you interested in switching things up? The choice is yours!

Accessorize, Accessorize

Now that you’ve figured out what kind of look you’re going for, you can start to get intentional about the pieces you put together. The biggest takeaway from the aforementioned TikTok trend “Wearing vs. Styling Your Clothes” is that accessories are everything. They’re the tiniest details that make a huge difference in how your fits come together and can often be overlooked. And when it comes to game days, the best thing you could do is to make your outfit intentional and functional. For example, hats are a great accessory that not only come in many different forms (bucket hats, cowboy hats, visors, caps) but also serve the purpose of keeping the sun away from your face. Some other accessories to add to your fits are sunglasses, belts, and of course, jewelry!

Add a Bold Color Or Material

You’ll often find yourself in a sea of black and gold whenever UCF Knights are around. One of the most common ways to showcase your school spirit is by wearing your school colors, but this can make it a bit difficult to stand out when everyone’s wearing the same thing. Incorporate these colors into your game day fits, but don’t be afraid to step outside the box. Denim shorts and cotton tanks are a go-to, but if you’re considering adding something bold to your look, try experimenting with different fabrics and materials. Add some bright fishnet stockings in your school colors. Switch out the washed out jeans for colorful parachute joggers. Bold patterns are also a great way to add something fun to a traditional game day outfit. The louder and prouder, the better!

COMFORT OVER EVERYTHING

Beyond the tips I’ve previously mentioned, the most important detail to prioritize in your game day fits is comfort. Confidence is part of the outfit, so make sure that while looking your best you also feel your best. I went to my first tailgate not knowing that my Doc Martens were going to give me blisters at the end of the night. Even though they looked great with my outfit, I wouldn’t wear them on game day ever again! Having comfortable shoes and breathable clothes will make your experience so much more enjoyable. You’ll also have to accommodate for the weather, which in Florida is usually a mix of hot sun and humid rain. Even so, there’s still so many fashionable choices for these messy occasions — cowboy boots, anyone?

Football season is memorable for the college experience. There’s no better place to feel unity for your school while also getting to meet so many new people and spend time with your friends. When game day comes around, the most important thing you can do is listen to your own wants and needs. At the end of the day, no one is really paying attention to your outfits, so you might as well have fun experimenting with them! And if you need a little extra inspo, I put together a Pinterest board to get your ideas flowing.

Happy football season! Go Knights, Charge On!

Kathie (the h is silent) is in her last year at the University of Central Florida earning her B.A. degree in Film and English with a Creative Writing track. She is interested in pursuing a career in the media and entertainment industry and is passionate about storytelling and self-reflection. In her free time, she is most likely working on her podcast, SOLITA: Notes on Tears & Chaos. If you would like to connect with her, reach out to her on Instagram: @_kathietorres