How to Talk to the Cutie in Your Math Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Let’s just admit it: We all have that one super cute and mysterious guy in one of our classes that we casually creep on. We all do it, don’t be shy. But why do we never have the courage to say anything to said guy? I’m sure he’s perfectly normal, right?

Maybe we just like the idea of being a spy. We can make up stories of what we think his life is like for our own personal enjoyment. What if we start speaking with him and he’s totally weird and not what we expected? That would just make us feel horrible and alone, again. So why don’t we all actually take a chance and talk to our mystery man? What do we have to lose? Yes, class may be awkward for the rest of the semester, but a little awkwardness never hurt anybody.

My opinion is that we should all go for it. Take a chance and talk to him. He may end up being someone that we will spend tons of time with, hopefully. There really is not a good enough reason to be a chicken in this situation. We want to talk to him, so be brave enough to do it!

Here are some tips for us to make it not so hard to start a conversation. These are ways that are not so obvious that we just want to talk to him because he’s cute. So listen closely!

1.     This is the most common and easy one, but only if he’s smart. Simply ask him for help on a question that you’re working on in class. If you’re feeling especially bold, you could ask him to the library after class to work on the homework. This way you get some one-on-one time to get to know him.

2.     Start to spontaneously laugh out loud. Maybe he will ask you what’s so funny.

3.     Elle Woods taught us all that the best way to get any man’s attention – do the Bend and Snap. “Works every time!”

4.     Invite him and the rest of your class (so it’s not so obvious) to a party you’re throwing at your place. This is risky because of the potential of him being a creep, but, if successful, this tactic is rewarding because there will be return invites from him.

5.     Bring treats for the whole class and give him all the leftovers. He will love this, and it will make all the other girls in the class jealous because they will think y’all are together. It’s a win-win scenario.

That is just a portion of a long list of possibilities to draw attention to yourself. We want to make sure that everyone (especially him) know that we are interesting and worth getting to know.  Don’t focus too much attention on your mystery math class man and forget that you must make yourself look put-together and approachable.  

The lesson to be learned here is that we should take a risk and talk to the one guy we have wanted to talk to all semester. I have heard stories from fellow collegiettes about talking to their guy being totally worth it. That may end up being the case for us, as well. So be bold and daring, and do it! 

Keegan is a sophomore at UCF majoring in Environmental Studies and is part of the HCUCF team as an editorial writer. Keegan is obsessed with all things Disney and is currently training for a marathon. If she survives, she will attend law school and dedicate her life to making the hospitality industry as environmentally friendly as possible. 
UCF Contributor