neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Survive at UCF Without a Car

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

In college nowadays it can be incredibly difficult to get around without your own form of personal transportation. It can also become slightly annoying when everyone around you has a car and you’re the only one who doesn’t. Don’t get too discouraged because there are more than a few ways to get from place to place without owning a car in college. There are campus shuttles, the UCF’s KnightLynx, carpooling and cabs. So, believe me when I say that it can be done and you can survive in college without a car!

UCF Off-campus shuttles operate from the hours of 6:30am-10:00pm. They will take you to campus from your student housing and back. You don’t need a residential ID to ride them so if you don’t live in the student housing apartments you still can ride the shuttles. This can become a convenient way to save gas and time from the hassle of finding a parking spot on such a huge campus.

Most of the time, right next to student housing apartments are Lynx bus stops, another form of public transportation in Orlando. The routes of the Lynx can take all throughout Central Florida from downtown to International Drive, one route trips only cost you $2.00.

There is also UCF’s Knightlnyx Bus “a safe and reliable public transportation option on UCF campus.” Knightlynx offers transportation all around McCulloch Road and Alafaya Trail and travels to Waterford Lakes Town Center. If you’re a UCF student with an ID, all rides are free. The Knightlynx is available Friday and Saturday nights from 8:00 p.m.-3:00 a.m.  The bus will pick you up at the UCF Arena and then after each route returns there. The Knightlynx also offers options for traveling downtown on Friday and Saturday nights from 8:00 p.m. -3:00 a.m. Also, be sure to check the ticket center for transportation discounts. The UCF ticket center offers a $35 discount taxi ride every 60 days to take you home from wherever you may be, anything above that you have to pay the difference.

Be sure to check out Facebook for carpooling groups. Most of the time students are more than willing to carpool for gas money. Or if you’re in a specific club on campus, most of the time carpooling is free. The important thing is too seek out all of your options. More than likely if you look for opportunities to get to where you need to go, you will and you will be just fine!

UCF Contributor