How Social Media Can Land You a Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When most people look for jobs, they scan the want ads in the paper, go business-to-business asking for an application, and call up all their old friends if they’ve heard of any openings anywhere. But what most people don’t do is recognize the power that social media can have when looking for a job. Yes, we’ve all heard the horror stories about that one girl who was perfectly qualified for a great job, but when they did a background check and her Facebook popped up, they realized that they were considering hiring someone that looked perfect for a Girls Gone Wild movie. Lesson? Don’t post inappropriate pictures that will make your parents cringe. But this example is how social media helps businesses hire, but what about how social media helps you?

When I first heard of Twitter, I thought it was another fad that would be popular for a little while and then people would lose interest, like Xanga or Myspace. But so far it’s becoming more marketable than ever. And Twitter is one of the best ways to find out about internships or job openings. Just the other day, an internship was posted from a Twitter account by my major’s sponsored club. And if you follow Intern Queen, she posts internships weekly. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that so many people are going to apply that your name will be like a needle in the haystack. I applied for an internship I saw on Intern Queen’s Twitter, and the very next day I heard back from them. So you never know – just apply. Twitter also allows you to post directly to another user. So occasionally tweet something short and nice on a business Twitter account so they start to recognize you. Taking a quick minute out of your day to contact a business is a lot easier than actually driving down there – and it may even pay off in the long run.

Another website that I recently joined is LinkedIn. I didn’t even know what it was until I heard it mentioned among some friends. LinkedIn is a business-related social networking site where you can upload your resume, post what your current and previous jobs were, and you can form connections with other businesses. As mentioned above, I had a phone interview for an internship and during the interview they asked if I had a LinkedIn. At the time I didn’t, but as soon as I hung up I made one.

Businesses are trying to find faster and more efficient ways of hiring and letting the public know they are hiring. Social media is quickly replacing traditional forms of media. So instead of being lost in the shuffle, get on board. Because in this economy, where it’s becoming harder to find jobs, you need to be creative. So after reading this I hope you go through your Twitter (and if you don’t have one, make one!) and add businesses that interest you. Because even when they aren’t posting job openings, they are posting information about the company. So when you have that long awaited for interview, you can talk about all the things you learned from their account. And when you land your dream job, I will accept any form of gratitude – mostly in some form of baked goods.