Career > Her20s

How Romantic Comedies Inspired Me to Pursue Journalism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

When you go to college, the first question people want to know is what you’re majoring in. For better or for worse, the second question they usually follow up with is, “Why?” which begs you to think, “Well, why did I choose this career?” My answer is simple: romantic comedies.

My entire life, I have always been a girl’s girl. I loved the idea of love, friendship, beauty, and laughter. Naturally, that drove me to watch every romantic comedy that’s come out since 2002. I was never the type of person who knew what career I wanted; all I knew for sure was that I wanted to look cute and have fun while doing it. Then it hit me: the main characters in many of my favorite classics are journalists. They have it all! The cute outfits, the girl’s nights out, the high-rise New York City apartment, and, of course, the love interest. The secret to everything I wanted was right before my face, and the answer was simple: become a journalist.

13 “Going On 30” might’ve been the most inspirational movie of my teenage hood. Who doesn’t want to be thirty, flirty, and thriving? She has a beautiful apartment and works with her best friend at Poise magazine, the second most prestigious fashion magazine in New York City. However, the creative outlet the magazine offered her was most appealing to me. Dig deep into your life’s current themes, bring them to work, and then get paid for them. You’re not only making a difference to the consumers of your work, but you’re also honoring yourself by recognizing how you feel. It is much easier to articulate your thoughts once they are on paper.

Some more honorable, iconic mentions are “How To Lose a Guy In 10 Days”, “The Ugly Truth”, “Confessions Of a Shopaholic”, “27 Dresses”, and “Almost Famous”. However, “The Bold Type” sealed the deal for me. “The Bold Type” was an original Hulu series running from 2017 to 2021. The show features a best friend trio, all working at Scarlet magazine. The show’s premise is watching the main characters navigate their mid-late twenties and find their voice. It takes place in, you guessed it: New York City. “The Bold Type” touches on many themes, including women’s rights issues, racism, and political divides. Even though it’s fiction, watching three women my age become gradually more successful in their careers while juggling their friendships and relationships is inspiring. 

Ironically enough, I quickly learned journalism has almost nothing to do with the journalist. Unless you’re writing for a niche-specific magazine or blog, your job is to deliver and articulate others’ stories and feelings. It’s an honor to tell the story of somebody’s life. How magical is it that journalists become the middleman for human connection? Gaining a stranger’s trust enough to articulate their experiences in a way the community can connect with is an important job. It’s a job that requires empathy, compassion, and the ability to write in a way that delivers justice to your subject or informs the community.

My purpose of pursuing journalism grows as I continue to immerse myself in the stories and lives of my community. What started as me chasing a specific lifestyle transformed into an opportunity to make a difference. But who said I can’t do both? If I learned one thing from all of the romantic comedies I indulged in, a woman can do anything. Thanks, Barbie!

Caysea Stone is a Journalism major and a Women’s Studies minor at the University of Central Florida. She has been vegan for almost five years and is very passionate about yoga, meditation, and feminism. Her ultimate goal is to write for a women's magazine like Cosmopolitan or Bustle. She wishes to inspire younger women to always show kindness towards themselves and assist in the process of deconditioning any internalized misogyny.