Life > Academics

How I Cope With Finals Season Through Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The spring semester always seems to fly by way faster than the fall semester. We’ve already reached finals season, and I have reviewed many articles on how to crush exams and watched tons of YouTube videos about how to study properly and manage time. Yet, here I am, once again overwhelmed by everything that lies ahead before the semester ends.

Luckily, this isn’t my first rodeo. There’s one remedy that I’ve relied on whenever I’ve felt too overwhelmed or like I can’t focus: watching movies. Here are some movies that I watch whenever I need a boost of confidence or motivation during finals season.

Legally Blonde

Of course, I had to include this phenomenal piece of cinema because Elle’s journey will NEVER cease to motivate me. Legally Blonde is an amazing film, as it conveys the idea of defeating not only others’ perceptions of you but also your own self-doubt. The movie emphasizes the fact that Elle’s success was hard-earned. She wasn’t suddenly a perfect student, instead, we see that she makes mistakes in her classes. We then also see that she studied incredibly hard to fix her mistakes which allowed her to succeed. By the time I’ve finished the film, I feel as though I’m in the right headspace to start focusing on my work. The film reminds me of the personal satisfaction that I’ll feel if I do well on my finals, and that success requires a LOT of work. Cue the montage.

The devil wears Prada

This film, specifically in showcasing Andy’s work ethic and persistence, the montage of Andy’s fabulous outfits, and Nigel telling Andy that she needs to “wake up,” effectively alters my brain chemistry every time I watch it. Nigel’s speech to Andy definitely puts me in the right state of mind, as the idea that she needed to stop complaining and start devoting herself towards trying to succeed provides a reality check that I sometimes need to hear to push myself to work harder, especially during finals week. Notably, the way Andy was treated by everyone at Runway, especially Miranda, was diabolical; however, she had to endure those horrible conditions to get what she wanted, just like we have to get through this finals season.

LA LA LAND

Have I been streaming “Audition (The Fools Who Dream)”, where Mia sings passionately at an audition despite previously deciding that she was giving up on her dream of acting? Yes. Repeatedly. This song embodies the essence of the movie itself. It conveys the hunger and ambition that we all have to chase our dreams. While the dream may not be to become a famous actor or to open my own jazz club, I’m reminded of why I have to continue working hard as I desire to obtain my degree and eventually become a lawyer. Thus, by the end of the movie, after bawling my eyes out, which also immensely helps me cope with finals, I feel motivated to do what it takes to pursue my dreams as well.

Set It Up

Harper Moore, she is all of us. This movie is phenomenal for many reasons, but especially in the way in which it addresses the issues of procrastination stemming from our own insecurities. As Harper struggles to write her article, her friend tells her that a first draft is supposed to be awful. But itneeds to be written to be worked on. This decreased the amount of pressure Harper put on herself to be a perfect writer. This scene strikes a chord within the depths of my soul. By witnessing Harper’s journey, I’m reminded of the fact that I don’t have to write everything perfectly the first time I do an assignment. Then, I feel ready to write my first draft and accept it as one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever completed. Once the first draft is finished, I have the motivation to finish the assignment completely.

I can’t promise that after watching any of these films that you’ll suddenly be able to finish every assignment in one night. However, sometimes we need a reminder that we all have the ability within us to achieve the success we seek, and these films remind us of this.

Anyelina Izzo is a senior at UCF and majoring in political science. She enjoys obsessing over romantic comedies, reading, and listening to The Strokes, Cage the Elephant, and all of the High School Musical soundtracks.