This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Although what becomes popular music has long been decided by teenage girls, good taste is rarely, if ever, acknowledged as their achievement. Music, and the enjoyment of it, has been considered to belong in the man’s sphere for a long time. Luckily, this is starting to change.

Paul McCartney concert
Original photo by Gianna Aceto

Those who like classic rock music have probably seen the vintage fashion reels that accompany audios on Instagram. These reels were born from the classic rock community on Instagram, composed mostly of young women with a passion for both old classic rock, and vintage clothes. Rock has long been considered such a defining feature of masculinity, whether it’s cheesydad rock or pretentious Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd hipsters. What’s interesting to see is how popular old bands really are among younger generations, and going even further, how to analyze what “good music” really means.

For example, among young people, Queen is not some foreign performer of popular radio hits, but instead a topfollowed artist on Spotify, the music app that is known for appealing mostly to Gen Z. Even comparatively less popular bands like The Smiths have found appreciation in the alternative indie rock crowds, and several of my friends consider The Beatles or Nirvana to be one of their favorite artists.

A common thing young people hear is that current music today isn’t “real music.” Saying the younger generation doesn’t appreciate “real’ music” is not true, and regardless, no one is in the position to classify what “real music” means. Though I am not personally invested in artists like Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers, or Mitski, I know these women have become comforting for audiences in my generation, and modern artists like The Weeknd really draw from older pop icons like Michael Jackson for their early inspiration.

Hozier, who released an EP leading to a new album later this year, is one of the most prolific songwriters I have heard today, and his music appeals not just to popular folk music lovers, but to the often overlapping queer community.

The same can be said for Harry Styles, whose solo career has drawn in fans outside of his One Direction days, and whose “Love On Tour” tour has sold out more than 40 shows worldwide. Topping it off, Taylor Swift has continued to be a prominent female figure in music and in society, guided there by her similarly passionate fans, proving their devotion in the sold-out shows for her infamous 2023 Eras Tour.

All of these artists are loved deeply, and a large portion of this love doesn’t come from the traditional idea of a music fan, of a guy in a Metallica shirt talking loudly about how music these days can’t compare to before Auto-Tune and pop music (which by the way, is a lie, as pop music has been around forever). This love comes from a young generation of people, of girls, who are unashamed of the things they love, despite expecting to receive shame for it. These girls have decided for us who is worth listening to. They already know.

Hadley is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida majoring in Writing and Rhetoric, with a minor in Creative Writing. They love collecting records, thrifting, writing about music, and re-watching NBC Hannibal. You can probably find them sipping a lavender latte, daydreaming about next year's Spotify Wrapped, and pretending they live in the 70s.