Style

How to “Fall Up” Your Wardrobe When You Live in Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s finally that time of the year. The leaves are changing colors, the weather is cooler, pumpkin spice is in the air and sweaters are filling the racks. Except for everyone who lives in Florida, where it’s 100 degrees until Christmas. This is a struggle every Floridian has this time of year. You’ve filled your Pinterest board with beautiful wool scarves and thick leather jackets knowing you’ll never be able to wear them. Living in Florida for most of my life, I have outsmarted the temperature and comfortably achieved my autumn aesthetic without morphing into a puddle of sweat. Here’s how:

Fall vibe colors and prints

There is a specific color palette that comes to mind during the fall season. Maybe it’s the cliche image of autumn leaves or perhaps it’s the different colored pumpkins. Either way, maroon reds, burnt oranges, mustard yellows and camel browns are beautiful and very on trend this time of year. Incorporating these colors into your wardrobe instantly gives your outfit a fall vibe without effort. A flowy top, cardigan or a skirt in these colors will always look fall appropriate. Let’s not forget about prints! Floral, flannel, dark denim and even cheetah print (in my humble opinion) are all great options to “fall-up” your closet!

What’s an outfit without accessories?

Fall is prime time for fashionistas wanting to accessorize. It’s so much fun to style an outfit with all the different accent pieces. Unfortunately for Floridians, it seems impractical in this weather. Not to worry though! Here is how I add a little extra something to my fall outfits…Florida style:

1. Scarves

Instead of a thick wool scarf, trade it out for a lightweight one. These are sold in a lot of stores during the season and are usually inexpensive. There are so many ways to wrap them when they are made with lighter fabric, which is also a plus!

2. Outerwear

Yes, you can still wear sweaters and flannels in Florida! A little trick is using them as your accessories instead of your main clothing pieces. Tying a flannel around your waist is an easy and comfortable way to achieve a fall look. This is also true for sweaters. Buying a sweater-like cardigan to wear with an outfit gives that cozy vibe without having to commit to wearing a heavy pullover all day.

3. Last but not least… booties

Not just your average booties, but open-toe booties! These are what I like to call Floridian boots. These boots have an open toe front and many have exposure in the back for your heel as well. This offers the same benefits of wearing wedges in the summertime but gives the illusion of an autumn boot.

Layers, Layers, Layers!

When the weather actually does start to get cooler, it almost seems too good to be true (and it usually is.) By noon, the semi-chilly morning air turns back into the high 80s and you’re melting off your fall outfit. My tip to avoid this dilemma is dressing in layers! Layering your clothing allows you to wear the pieces you want and allows you to take them off when the temperature rises. Now you can wear all your Instagram dream jackets, sweaters and long-sleeves with the guarantee of being able to take them all off and stunt in your lightweight shirt underneath. You can also add all your layers back on when the temperature drops at night. It’s a win-win!

Style is a very personal thing and everyone has a different way they like to dress each season. These are just some of my favorite fall trends I have learned to incorporate into my wardrobe living in a warm climate. I encourage all of you to embrace your inner pumpkin spice vibes even in 100 degree weather and I hope these tips help you do just that. Happy fall y’all!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 

Kristin is a senior at the University of Central Florida studying advertising and public relations. She loves cats, makeup, shopping, chocolate and all things The Office or Friends related. When she has free time (rare but it happens occasionally) you can catch her eating sushi, watching old vines or spending time with her friends. She enjoys writing about beauty, fashion, lifestyle and girl power. You can keep up with her on all her socials linked below!
UCF Contributor