How to Deal with Parents While on Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

It’s what every college student dreads: that moment when you have to go home for break and give away your newfound freedom to do whatever you want whenever you want without telling your parents. Not having to be under the authority of anyone besides your college administration is liberating, but that feeling is scorched when you go home and have to comply to all of your parents’ rules and regulations. Here are a few tips to help make the transition easier and maybe even successful altogether.

1.     Touch base.

Let your parents know that you are doing fine. If you check in with them every now and then and tell them where you are going and when, I guarantee they will be more willing to let you go out one more night or stay out later for that one concert you’ve been dying to go to.

2.     Don’t get an attitude.

Don’t do it: it’s as simple as that. Parents have a knack for remembering every single thing you’ve done that is not completely virtuous or angelic and they most definitely remember that fight you had from two years ago over who wanted the last taco.

3.     Don’t stay out until 3 a.m. 

If you want your parents to think you have an “I can do anything I want” complex then go for it. Maybe that will work in college, but parents won’t deal with that bullsh*t under their roof.

4.     Be as innocent and angelic as possible.

Maybe you do go drinking three days a week, but don’t you want your parents to think you are the best thing they ever brought into this world? Don’t let them think otherwise. After all, they did birth you into this world so you owe them that favor.

5.     Let them know you are thankful.

Last but not least, let them know you are thankful for all they’ve done for you and that you really do love them no matter how pestering and annoying they can be. This is their weak point and you’ll have them in the palm of your hand, making your break that much more enjoyable. 

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I am a writing and rhetoric major at the University of Central Florida and I really love tacos and pugs (the dog breed). I am a writer for Her Campus UCF and have been writing since I was eight years old :). My great grandfather won the Pulitzer Prize so I have some big shoes to fill.
UCF Contributor