Honey Isn’t Vegan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Think of the words “vegan” and “vegetarian.”  What comes to mind may be the stereotypical, hippy-esque, animal-obsessed, shoeless, and longhaired eater of the plants.  Contrary to popular beliefs regarding the correlation between foregoing meat and being critter-crazy, there are hundreds of reasons why people dabble in the art of not eating things with faces (well except baked-and-not-fried goldfish crackers for vegetarians, I guess).  With my insatiable appetite for chicken and cheese, the idea of going vegetarian, let alone vegan, seemed like an impossible lifestyle that should be left in the Mesozoic era with herbivorous dinosaurs.  Besides, with all the carnivores out there (not to mention milk maniacs like Susan Sarandon endorsing milk as a permanent staple of nutrition and the Got Milk? Ads people still play off of on numerous T-shirts and posters) meat and animal byproducts would always be made.  Why not partake in the deliciousness if animals were dying for it anyway? 

Despite an intense love of animals, eating animal products always still seemed natural.  After all, don’t many animals eat other animals?  Heck, how many crazy stories do we read about animals eating us?  Anyone who has taken a science class in their life or watched Bill Nye the Science Guy also knows that plants are actually living things too.  Aren’t we all just playing our role in the ecosystem?  Cue The Lion King’s “Circle of Life.” Superficially, these arguments may work, but this controversial topic is one of multiple dimensions.  How meat products are processed and what it does to the environment must be accounted for.  Also, what effects do additives have on the human body?  Even if skipping on meat and/or animal by-products does not seem like a necessary means of helping the environment, prospective health benefits are yet another reason to consider veganism.

After getting over my chicken-fingers-and-fries-at-every-restaurant phase, I’ve since preferred to eat healthy (aside from some admittedly prolonged lapses where it seemed too difficult).  When my budget and schedule allowed, I have tried diets that rely on organic and fresh foods, limiting dairy as well as wheat products (typically containing gluten, which some individuals can be sensitive to).  The use of things like preservatives, Monosodium Glutamate (MSG), and poor-quality ingredients steered me away from fast food and even the usual chain restaurant in order to maintain a healthier lifestyle.  As someone who suffers from some health issues, how much what I eat effects me has always been on my mind.

After suggestions from dear old mom, talking to Vegan superhero Alicia Silverstone (see my article about her visit to UCF), and gaining an unexpected companion for the journey, I decided to try cut back my usual meat with every meal.  Testimonies of people curing some of the same symptoms I have with a plant-based diet as well as learning that I actually could contribute to helping the environment finally fertilized the seed (not a sexual reference) planted long ago.  I don’t pretend to know every scientific reason for doing this yet, but when I come across them, I will be happy to share.  For now, enjoy this honest account of my trials and tribulations.

Week 1

Believe it or not, my boyfriend (closet fast food king and indulgent member of the food-for-taste club) gave me the push I needed to start the diet.  I had been told multiple times that it may be beneficial to me, but starting is always the most difficult part of any significant life change.  Even though he is a stud already and feels better than I do most of the time, he wanted to take an extra step toward becoming healthier.  He even took interest in the impact he would have on earth (everybody say “aw”) and expressed a genuine desire to help me (disclaimer: He is not whipped!  Whipped things are usually dairy!) The initial conversation reminded me of one of Alicia’s stories.  Alicia Silverstone never forced her boyfriend, with whom she lived, to join her in her “cruelty-free” life.  When she realized she could not keep living against what she believed, she suggested that they keep their groceries separate and asked how he wanted to work it out.  Alicia’s now-husband apparently replied, “But hunny…I love cows too,” at which time they romantically commenced upon their mutually vegan lives.

Thus, day one began with a lunch at one of the few places we thought we could get a vegan meal without knowing much.  We needed some fuel for grocery shopping! Hence, we stopped by Greens and Grill on University Blvd.  We ordered “the veggie” wrap, some chips, and roasted potatoes. 

Upon telling the cashier what we were trying to do, he asked if the usual citrus ginger dressing was okay.  We found out it contained honey, which technically is an animal by-product.  I then explained the birds and the bees (well, just bees) to my significant other, at which point we started debating the role of honey production in harming the environment and its nutrition factors.  Still, until knowing more, we opted for oil and vinegar instead of the dressing.  Only one meal and we barely got out of it without cheating!  Despite having to “have it our way” some place that was definitely not Burger King, the meal was great! 

We trekked to the Whole Foods on Aloma Ave. in Winterpark to do our grocery shopping.  If the thought of actually having to prepare food for the first time in a while was not scary enough (CAUTION:  Stoves get hot), we had to brave the overwhelming isles of products we’ve never heard of let alone eaten.  Luckily, I had a little bit of organic history (wait…don’t we all?  I hope…) and was able to find some cool products.  One of the best finds has been Amy’s Veggie burgers from the frozen food section, which can be made quickly when you’re getting ready for your afternoon classes.  It also seemed natural to incorporate healthier versions of things that were already vegan, such as switching to Ezekiel bread (which is actually sprouted and mostly protein) from all wheat.

Though steadily vegan for a few days, I ran into some differing opinions regarding how I should eat for my health.  On top of that, temptation was everywhere, from friends birthday dinners to Greek semi-formals and of course, most beers are non-vegan!  We have decided to make certain exceptions until we figure out exactly what taking out meat entirely means.  For now, I am eating at home much more often, have decreased the amount of meat I eat immensely, and am inevitably creating healthier habits, just by trying.  Like Alicia said, any small step counts.