Honest Opinion: How I Feel About the Gym after New Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

From first-hand experience, the first few weeks at the gym following New Year’s is absolute mayhem. And there’s nothing that’s going to make this year any different. I mean, it’s great that everyone decides to jump onto their physical fitness grind, but what kills me is the fact that these new “wannabes” only spend a few weeks exercising before they realize… I’m over it.

While I have nothing against the dedicated newbies, I have a problem with the ones who are just along for the ride. The ultimate problem—they take up space, making it difficult for the true “pros” to continue in their workout regimen.

The gym is typically slammed between the hours of 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. These times are convenient due to the fact that the workday is done and those in school are out of classes for the day.  So for starters, I recommend avoiding the area at all cost during those times. A good time to get to the gym would be within its first two hours of operation, which normally ranges from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m.; these times tend to have the slowest traffic.

I’m so sorry if this means you’ll need to wake up earlier, but it will also mean you can start your day off early and feel productive! Now, if you don’t make it to the gym during that two-hour time frame, don’t you dare think about skipping. Just try to pencil in a time where you are able to go and avoid peak hours.

Keep in mind: The average person keeps their resolution for only a week, some for a month. The gym won’t be like this forever. But, there are some alternatives that will keep you far, far away from that place if you can’t go near it during such hectic times. An at-home workout can be just as affective as a gym one! Circuit training at home is easy; all you need are dumbbells, ankle weights, a medicine ball, yoga mat and a creative mind. Try doing more cardio than usual and go for a run around the neighborhood. Plus, it’s never a bad idea to give yourself a short break from an intense workout load every once in a while.  

Moral of the story: Don’t make yourself a “wannabe.” If you’re at the gym, that means you’ve already made the effort to put your tennis shoes on and drive over to the damn place. You might as well make yourself go “pro” and dedicate yourself to a fit and active lifestyle. New Year’s truly is the time to take advantage of this opportunity.