My Home for the Holidays Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Finals week is over, and I’m back in my hometown. It’s always the same routine when I’m home: sleep until noon, eat a bowl of cereal and then play The Sims to pass the time. If I do choose to change out of my PJs, it’s only to get coffee or to sit in the Target parking lot blasting Taylor Swift. All my fellow small-town girls understand that the Target parking lot hits different. While I guess I could call that fun, I would like to do something a little more exciting this break. I have decided to make a bucket list of things to keep me entertained and get me in the holiday spirit. So if you’re also looking for the same thing, read on.

Bake bread and Christmas cookies

My TikTok favorites are full of things I want to make, but never seem to get around to.  So this next month seems like the perfect time to bake those and all my favorite Christmas cookies. Plus, my family and friends get to eat all the delicious leftovers.

Decorate my room for Christmas

My room is basically the same as it was in high school. So I think bringing some holiday cheer would be nice.  I might even do the TikTok holiday room transition if I don’t forget to film a before and after.

Go ice skating

Ice skating is my absolute favorite winter activity. It’s so fun to go with friends or family, even if you’re not the best at skating. You can fall with your group, laugh about it and get hot chocolate after.  Getting hot chocolate afterward is a super important part of ice skating, so make sure you do that.

Make a gingerbread village

Instead of just listening to Taylor Swift in the Target parking lot, this break I will head inside. Target has gingerbread house kits for a really good price. So I really want to make a whole gingerbread village with my family one night.

Walk around and look at Christmas lights

I’m lucky enough to live in a beautiful historic town. So with all the lights up, the houses look amazing.  But I’ve never really taken the time to drive around and look at the lights. Particularly excited to do this one because I’m still on a college sleep schedule in a town when everything closes at 9 pm.

Be a tourist in my own town

I love searching “things to do in Portsmouth, New Hampshire,” and seeing what comes up. It always gives me a fun activity to do for the day. One time I found a tea parlor, and an hour later, I was with my friends at high tea. So I’m going to see what there is to do around this time of year and I recommend trying this as well cause you never know what you’ll find.

Go to a local production of a Christmas show

Nothing beats live theater. Not only is going to see a play a super fun way to get into the Christmas spirit, but I’m excited to also support local artists. Shows are usually a few hours, so it gives me the opportunity to get out of my PJs and dress up for a night.

Take a Christmas card photo with friends

I only get to see my hometown friends a couple of times a year, so I always try to commemorate the occasion with a photoshoot. This year I want to do a Christmas-themed photoshoot and make a card to give to our parents because they would think it is the cutest thing ever. Although, we haven’t settled on Christmas-themed outfits or matching PJs.

Make a pillow fort and watch Christmas movies

One of the best parts of the holiday season is how cozy it is. Making a pillow fort and watching Christmas movies while sipping hot chocolate sounds perfect. I might even try and set up some lights in there. This is also another cute picture opportunity with my friends.

I’m hoping that this list will keep me entertained for the rest of the break (and you, too). At the very least, I’ll be in the holiday spirit. And hey, there’s always The Sims if I run out of stuff to bake.

Katrina is a college senior double majoring in advertising/public relations and history. Originally from New England, she takes any opportunity to explore the Central Florida area! Her interests range from history to roller coasters to astrology to coffee!