At Home Exercises for the Busy Collegiette™

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

College students are always busy, especially during the first few weeks of classes. Between getting textbooks, finding classes and buying school supplies, who has time to hit the gym?

To save time, collegiettes™ can do a few simple and effective exercises at home. These exercises will help tone and build muscle in the arms, legs and abdominals.

1. The Basic Pushup

This is the starting position for the basic push-up. Be sure that your hips are down and feet are together.

Why it is good: It builds strength in upper body, arms and chest. It increases metabolism that burns calories. It is a terrific alternative to the intimidating gym weight room where women tend to be uncomfortable lifting free weights.

How to do it right: Lie on floor with hands even with shoulders and fingers pointed outward. Push yourself up until your body weight is balanced only on palms and toes. Touch your CHEST to the floor by bending your elbows out and then push yourself back up into the starting position.

Reps: Do 3 sets of 10 pushups.

2. Pillar Bridge Front (Plank)

Why it is good: Works abdominals, core and, most importantly, the back, which tends to be a source of weakness and bad posture in women.

How to do it right: Lie face down with forearms on ground under your chest. Push up off your elbow supporting your weight on your forearms. Tuck your chin and pull your toes toward your shins. Do not now sag or bend at hips

Reps: 3 sets of 15 seconds and rest about a minute between sets.

3. Side/Lateral Plank

This is the starting position for the side-plank. Make sure your ankles are lifted off the floor.

Why it is good: It works your hips, shoulders, core and abdominals.

How to do it right: Lie on your side with your body in a straight line and your elbow under your shoulder with top leg slightly forward. Lift your hips off the ground creating a straight line from ankle to shoulder. Switch sides after 15 seconds. No sagging or bending!

Reps: 3 sets of 15 seconds on each side.

4. Hip Touch

Why it is good: It is challenging, creates balance and works core, abs, upper body and even your legs.

How to do it: Begin in plank position. Level one: Feet are wide apart. Level two: Feet are together. Without moving your core plank position, touch your right hand to right hip. Repeat other side. Be sure to maintain your balance and remember, no sagging or bending.

Reps: 2 sets of 8-10 touches.

To do the next set of exercises, use two paper plates or cheap furniture slides.

5. Paper Plate Leg Curl
Why it is good: It works gluts (AKA booty!), hamstrings and lower back. It works best on a low pile rug or floor.

How to do it: Lie face up on the floor with each heel on a paper plate. Lift your hips until your body is in a straight line. Now, keeping your hips up, pull your heels in toward your booty. Slowly return to the starting position. Hints: Do not let your hips drop and keep your toes pulled up to strengthen shins and calves. (Good for clubbing in heals!)

Reps: 3 sets of 8

6. Paper Plate Lateral Squat

Why it is good: These really will change the shape of your legs. All muscles of the legs such as the gluts, hamstrings, quads and inner thigh must work together to do this exercise.

How to do it: Stand with one foot on a paper plate. Slide that foot sideways keeping your leg straight and the bottom of your foot in contact with the paper plate. As you slide, squat down keeping your weight on the leg that is squatting. Now the hard part: Return to starting position by pushing up with the squatting leg. Be sure to keep your toes pointed ahead and both feet in contact with the ground.

Reps: 3 sets of 10 on each leg.

Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler