HerStory: How I Became Socially Conscious

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As a Nigerian-American growing up in a predominantly white suburb, my main priority was to try to fit in. In the schools that I attended, the few black children always seemed to link up together. However, I was the black kid surrounded by white friends. I wanted to fit in with the other black kids but I was always shunned and condemned.

“Why are you acting white?” they said.

“You’re an oreo.” (An oreo is a slang a black person who is physically “black” on the outside, but “white” “through their actions” on the inside.)

“You’re so bougie.” “You think you’re better than us.”

I couldn’t understand the concept of acting like a certain race. I felt insulted for the black community that I was deemed as acting uppity because I didn’t use slang and spoke in proper English. I knew that my validation as a black woman should not come from what others thought of me. Things began to change when I entered high school. The year 2012 was the year Trayvon Martin was tragically shot and killed. His death was one of the first indicators that social and racial discrimination still existed in our nation. With the onset of more black men and women being killed due to racial prejudice, I experienced a deeper level of connection to the black community. The Black Lives Matter movement was the force to really hone in on who I was and my cultural pride as a black woman. I began to do more research on black history in the United States. I immersed myself in black culture through film, music, and food. One of the most pivotal moments for me was going natural. For those of you who don’t know, “going natural” is the saying used in the black community in which you decide to stop using chemical straightners. You allow your hair to grow in its natural texture. Going natural was so powerful for me because it showed that I had self-acceptance.

Personally, I used chemical straightners to fit the mold of the Eurocentric beauty standards of society. By letting my hair grow in its curly-kinky state, I was making the affirmation that I will no longer conform to what others might deem as beautiful. I was defining my own standard of beauty. I was being true to myself as a strong and “woke” black woman.

Today, as a collegiate woman, I am more “woke” than ever. According to urban dictionary, “woke” is defined as a state of enlightened understanding, particularly related to issues of race and social justice. It is also described as being “aware” of issues of inequality and injustice. I became woke or socially conscious by gaining understanding and being an informed citizen.

The first step was being knowledgeable about who I was through learning about black culture, going natural, and involving myself in cultural organizations such as the Gospel and Cultural Choir (GCC) and the African Student Organization (ASO)

The second and most important step was staying informed.

I encourage everyone to actually watch the news and know what is going on in the world. Unfortunately, we do not live in a world of no injustices. That is why it is so critical to be in the know and allow yourself to make educated discussions that can enlighten others. Being socially conscious has changed my life for the better.

I hope to inspire others to do the same.

[1] Oreo is a slang used for a black person who is physically “black” on the outside, but “white” (“through their actions)” on the inside.

Abisola, also known as simply "Abby" is an electronic journalism major. She is a Nigerian-American blogger, songwriter, soon-to-be author, and self-proclaimed feminist. She is a reporter for a website called "PrettyGirlsSweat" and also writes for UCF's news source "KnightNews.com" In her free time she enjoys catching up on her favorite shows which include Gilmore Girls, Blackish, Modern Family, and the Mindy Project. She also enjoys watching makeup tutorials and vlogs on YouTube. In the future, she aspires to be a news anchor/reporter for an Entertainment News Station such as E! Follow Abisola on social media to keep up with her shenanigans. Twitter: https://twitter.com/abisola2798 Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/abbyadeyemo27/
UCF Contributor