He’s Just Not That Into You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Far too often, I’ve heard the phrase, “Do you think he actually likes me, or just wants sex…He invited me over to his place the other night, that has to mean something right?” So as a best friend, I sat there thinking carefully about this guy my friend was referring to. “Samantha, I really have no idea, I mean he seems to like you?” Obviously, I was NOT going to be the one to say, “Yeah Sam, texting you at 12 midnight asking you to come sleepover at his fraternity house is a promising sign for a future relationship.” So, I just sat there quietly, tearing the lid off of my Asian Chao paper cup.

Clearly, this exact situation isn’t always 100% the case, however, most girls can definitely attest to the same kinds of feelings Sam had. So, how DO you know if the guy isn’t interested?

1)      “I give the girl one-worded answers trying hard not to pay attention” – Senior, Corey Knott

This may seem like an obvious clue that the guy really isn’t digging you, but you’d never guess how many girls confuse the quiet type with the uninterested. If you ask him what classes he’s taking, and his response is, “I don’t remember,” BINGO, time to leave. He’s just not that into you.

2)      “I tend to use negative body language i.e.: arms crossed, facing the opposite direction, avoiding eye-contact.” – Sophomore, Anthony Hernandez

Another given. Think about it, what do we do when we’re annoyed or irritated? Cross our arms and pout…same thing with the male population. If he’s looking down at his feet and has his arms strategically placed across his chest, that’s just another word for “get me out of here.” He’s just not that into you.

3)      If I’m out in public I’d say something like, “I’ll be right back.” – Senior, Michael Garson

Yep, he’s not coming back. If the guy doesn’t invite you to come along, he’s not planning on seeing you again. As girls, I’ve played this card multiple times. You’re at a club and some sketchy guy tries dancing with you…clear solution: “I have to pee, be right back.” Same thing. He’s just not that into you.

4)      “I’d bring over some friends to dilute the conversation and slowly disappear.” – Sophomore, Mitchell Himmel

If a guy is introducing you to his friends, he’s trying to vacate the scene and leave you with his bros. He’s obviously not feeling it, so maybe his friends will? Maybe, but HE’s just not that into you.

5)      “I’d pretend my phone is ringing, and walk away.” – Sophomore, Sam Levine

Ahh, the phone trick. Casually pretend your phone is ringing, act like someone is on the phone telling you they need you somewhere, and make up an excuse to walk away. Just make sure your phone is on silent before you play this trick, because that could make for some serious awkward situations.  If this is the case, you don’t want to be around this jerk anyway. Why? Because he’s just not that into you.

SO, the next time you’re out at bar or in a long grocery line talking to some really cute boy, remember to watch out for these examples, because these could be the determining factors of whether your conversation is going somewhere or if you’re just talking to yourself.

Nina DeSarro is a senior at the University of Central Florida, pursuing a degree in Communication with a minor in Magazine Journalism and Sociology. She is the Assistant Editorial Director for UCF's HC chapter, and has been an avid Feature writer since her freshman year. Within her varied group of friends, she’s known as their “relationship guru,” specializing in the male/female dynamics. She is also an active member and former finance chair for her sorority, Alpha Epsilon Phi. In addition to being an avid writer, she can usually be found “plugged-in” with Dave Matthews Band streaming. Her ideal world is filled with Cosmo magazines, Vanilla Lattes, Sex and the City, Louboutin’s, and anything glittery. Her goals include, living and working somewhere in the North East for a television or magazine agency.