Happy: A Documentary That’ll Lift and Enlighten You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The world gobbles up social media like sugar sweets and is so accustomed to the influx of information that it is easy to take advantage of all the wonderful people and places we could learn about. Long before Twitter, people have been staring wide-eyed at movie screens, watching the world before them. With these brilliant ways to share, director Roko Belic and a team of filmmakers including Tom Shadyac (Patch Adams, Bruce Almighty) journeyed around the globe asking a greatly neglected, big-time question: What actually makes us happy?

The film received critical acclaims and awards from festivals around the world – including Amsterdam, Mexico, Maui, and Arizona – surely deserving of its praise. One of its first interviews was with psychologist Ed Diener, also called Dr. Happiness, who has been studying in this field for over 35 years. “Why they thought you could major in depression, which they were all doing, but you couldn’t major in happiness, I’m not sure,” he said in regard to fellow psychologists who discouraged his keen interest in the subject.

Sonja Lyubomirsky, Professor of Psychology at the University of California, was featured by the film and presented a fascinating result of new studies. She says, “50 percent of one’s happiness is determined by genetics, 10 percent by life circumstances, and 40 percent by our intentional activities.” She is also the author of The How of Happiness, where she details more workings of human happiness.

Although the scientific information presented was fascinating, it would not have had the impact it did without the people of astonishing diversity interviewed, whose stories supported the evidence and truly lifted your heart. While traveling through the U.S., Brazil, England, Scotland, Egypt, India, Japan, Bhutan, Denmark, Namibia, Kenya, China, and Thailand, Belic and crew found amazing stories, including those from the oldest people in the world who live in “longevity village” in Okinawa. This area has the world’s highest number of centenarians per capita, and they share their secrets to longevity.

The crew also speaks to a rickshaw driver living in the slums of Kolkata, who has the same level of happiness as most Americans. He and the members of a community in Kolkata explain that their happiness comes from each other. “We are all friends,” he says of his community. Another community in Namibia comes together whenever someone is sick, and they work together to heal the person. Roy Blanchard Sr., a resident of the Louisiana Basin, explains his source of happiness comes from the nature of the bayou. He says, “You never know what you’re gonna see,” in his Louisiana accent.

The film gives key points about happiness. Ultimately, strong relationship with friends, family and community carry happiness into the long run. Spontaneity, physical activity, and hobbies increase happiness, and this happiness helps promote great health and longevity. Selfless generosity increases happiness as well, which is beautifully told by Andy Wimmer, who gave up his worldly goods and volunteers at Mother Teresa’s Home for the Dying.

Personally, stumbling upon this thought-provoking documentary on a lazy Sunday was a life-changing discovery I am grateful for. When I find myself flipping out over school and struggling with my status as a poor college student, I remember the laughing children in Kolkata, the supportive community in Denmark, and surfer Ronaldo’s goofy smile in the film and say: I have love, too. Like the psychologists featured in the film emphasize, your personal relationships, your community and your involvement in it will keep you happy for much longer than wealth and trendy clothes do. Material possessions will only provide happiness for short periods of time.

This film is an undeniable must-see. It is featured on Netflix–just search “Happy”–and is available for purchase from the film’s website. I promise you will not be disappointed. In these times where we are bombarded by promises of happiness from advertisements if only we’d chuck our money at their companies, this film is a delightful reminder of what’s important.

Not totally convinced? Check out the trailer!
http://www.thehappymovie.com/film/

Samantha Henry is a Feature Writer for HCUCF and is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. As a music festival enthusiast, she loves to write about music and how it influences our generation.
Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler