Graduate Admission Testing: Tips To Put You At Ease

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Walking into an exam can, on occasion, be the most terrifying part of the test taking process. That doesn’t necessarily mean you are totally unprepared. It could be due to the fact that you face testing anxiety. Now is the time when test stress is at its peak: The semester is full into swing and many of the soon-to-be graduates, looking to further their academic career, are in the process of taking graduate school testing. For those taking the LSAT, GMAT, MCAT, and/or GRE, your pre-test stress may be more than you can stomach. Be not afraid! There are many simple tips in preparation that can help relieve your testing anxiety. Once you get yourself on the right test prep routine, you can conquer the evil – graduate admission exams. Try these tips:

Sign Up for Classes
This is one of the best ways to prepare for an admissions exam. Test prep courses can be long or short and can be classified according to difficulty level. Such courses use strategies that train you in the best way, so you can achieve your goal score. Classes are easy to sign up for and can be taken either in the classroom or online. The Princeton Review is a great website that allows you to sign up for various graduate admission tests. Click here to sign up!

Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle
We put ourselves through a large sum of wear and tear daily. In the weeks leading up to the exam, it is important you make an effort to get seven to eight hours of rest every night. Instead of going out to a bar, try investing your time in a book or a puzzle. According to USA Weekend, these activities will stimulate your brain, keeping your mind flexible, and help with critical thinking.

No Study Buddies
It will actually benefit you more to study on your own while in preparation. I know this may sound crazy, as many of us benefit from studying in groups. These admission exams want you to use logical and analytical thinking. You may be really weak in an area that your buddy may be strong in. Drill yourself on studying what you don’t understand as opposed to what you already know.

Don’t Cram
It’s a marathon, not a sprint! The worst thing you can do is put off preparing for the test until last minute. You don’t want to overwork yourself, do a little bit of focused work at a time.  

Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler