Goodbye to Guilt: Our Top 5 Healthiest Fast Food Choices!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Let’s be honest, it’s not always the easiest thing to cook three meals a day while in college. I know a lot of times I’m on campus for hours, and the last thing I want to do is prepare something to eat. It’s convenient and inexpensive to go through the drive-thru instead of having to sit around and wait for your pasta to cook. And not to mention, it’s always delicious! Fast food has a bad rep for being unhealthy and containing a lot of calories, but there are a few places where you can splurge on getting fast food with these low calorie, healthier choice restaurants. I will touch base on five different fast food restaurants with nutritious options, so you can enjoy fast food with and still be a health nut!

Subway
One healthy fast food restaurant with the convenience of being on campus is Subway. After Jared Fogle lost all his weight from his Subway Diet, Subway is now known for its delicious meals with fewer calories. Almost half of their subs have less than 300 calories and nutritious sides like raisins and apples. While here, go for healthier meats such as turkey or chicken, or the yummy veggie delight! Make sure to steer clear of high-calorie sauces, such as ranch or spicy chipotle. Sauce seems harmless, but it’s packed with fatty substances like mayonnaise that can pack on the pounds.

Chipotle

Who doesn’t love good Mexican food? Chipotle is nut and egg free and contains no artificial flavorings. To top it off, all their meat is farm raised, so you won’t have to worry about any hormones slipping into your carnitas. The burrito bowl is a blessing from heaven – having a burrito without the carbs of the tortilla. Stay away from a lot of cheese and sour cream; instead, try opting for the guacamole, which is filled with avocado oils that have many healthy benefits!

Boston Market
Boston Market is deliciously tasty with their home-style meals that make it feel as though mom and dad were at college cooking for you! They have many individual meal options that are 550 calories and under, such as the roasted turkey breast individual plate. Boston Market also has nutrition information on their website, making it easy for you to decipher what’s the healthier choice. Although their potpies are phenomenal, be forewarned…they are loaded with calories!

Panera Bread

A bakery, cafe, and restaurant all in one…what could be better? That it’s nutritious, of course! Panera Bread remains at the top of one of the healthiest restaurants in the U.S. and offers many low-calorie sandwiches, along with sides like soup and salad instead of chips or fries. If it doesn’t sound appealing to you yet, they also carry whole grain breads filled with nutrients and even have organic grilled cheese. Avoid the bagels however, since their calories range from 290 to 390 alone!

Pei Wei
Asian food: my absolute favorite. Pei Wei is owned by P.F. Changs’s and offers similar meals that this top-notch restaurant serves. Pei Wei restaurants cook with soybean oil, which is healthier than peanut or vegetable oil. They also serve hearty fish, like salmon, which is packed with protein. Although many of their meals contain rice and noodles, they have some carb-free options, like their delicious lettuce wraps and crispy pot stickers.

You can say goodbye to the guilt with opting for these healthier fast food restaurants that are all nearby UCF and contain fewer calories. Happy eating, collegiettes™!

Sources:
http://www.modernmom.com/article/healthy-fast-food-diet
http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/02/eating-at-chipotle-five-healthy-tips.html

Katie Kardok is a feature writer for the Her Campus Editorial team at the University of Central Florida. Katie is currently a junior majoring in Psychology. She enjoys pilates, photography, and watching football. Fun fact: She is left handed!
Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler